Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

No power to radio after jump start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to radio after jump start

I recently had a battery issue with my V70 and, while jump starting it last week, I accidentally reversed the clamps on the jumper cables (it was dark and my battery has large screws that resemble plus signs, one of which is right next to the negative terminal). I removed the cables as soon as I realized it and later successfully jumped the car. However, now my radio does not turn on. It appears that no power at all is going to the radio

I've seen some other posts by people who had similar problems and the suggestions usually revolve around the security code, but this is different because the display doesn't even prompt me to enter the code. It just doesn't illuminate at all, and pressing the power button does nothing.

I tried replacing the fuse in the fuse box, to no avail. Any other suggestions? Is it shorted wiring? I'm probably going to take it to the dealer, but if there's a simple solution that I can implement myself, I'd rather do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 PM

I would pull the radio. Accessible under the pen holder behind the shift ****. Check to see if power is even getting to the radio harness. More than likely though this will lead to haveing to enter the security code.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM

My girlfriend did the same exact thing to mine, now I'm having the same issue. I checked the fuses (7 and 32) and they're good and getting power, but the head unit is getting nothing! If you find out anything, drop me an email to pmcmurtry@wchtv.com and I'll do the same!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM

I have this same problem. Wife had to get a jump today, and now the radio is dead. Not a code issue - there's no power going to it. Antenna won't go up either (no tthat I even need it to now) without the radio power. Checked all the fuses and they are intact. Help!!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 PM

Looks like the same thing has happened to me. Has anyone been able to figure out how to fix this issue?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, We're 0 for 5 in providing the year of our cars. I'd remove the radio and check at the plug for power then I'd check inside the radio for a fuse. Kira

Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 AM

As Kira said. You need to check for power. Checking fuses won't tell you anything if you have no power to begin with. Using a volt meter is best, sometimes those test lights can load down circuits too much. There should be one wire that has power all the time (used to keep memory of stations) and one that only has power when the ignition switch is on (used to control when it turns on such as when starting the motor). If you see that there is no power at the radio, then trace it back to a fuse. Check power on both sides of the fuse to see if it is even there.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Once you checked the fuse and if you see there is no power on either side then the problem is further back. Maybe another fuse? Control unit? We all know they have plenty of these on this particular car. If there is power on one side (will only have on one side with the fuse removed) then this m eans the power is missing between the fuse and the radio. Good Luck!

TIP: You might be able to rent (free if you return it) a volt meter from a nearby chain auto parts store. Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by mistapony
Looks like the same thing has happened to me. Has anyone been able to figure out how to fix this issue?
I did eventually figure out that it was the fuse behind the radio that had to be replaced. So pop the radio out, replace that one, and then go back to the main fuses under the hood and replace that one. Voila!

ETA: Mine is a 99 S70 with 176k and bald tires :-)

Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Well I have a 2006 and couldn't find any fuse behind the radio. I decided to take it to the dealer, lets see how bad I get raped for this.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM

Please don't go to the dealer for this. I hate to see you have to pay a dealership for such a task. Try to find an independent European shop in town instead who is familiar with these cars. They usually can negotiate a price with you more than the dealer ever will. Dealers usually charge a minimum of $100 from the get-go. Since in your case you couldn't find the fuse, it is probably because it is a different shape than you are used to looking for. I'll bet a nearby shop would be able to find it in a few seconds and probably charge you only about $30, depending on how nice they are. What area are you in? I am in the Bay Area and would only ask for some lunch or a beer personally. :0)

Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM

hi yall!! well i have a 91 240 so i dont know if this helps.... but i was wondering if you might have checked the noise suppression relay yet? on a 240 it is clipped on somewhere close to the ignition coil.. and if your car is pretty new i dont know if you will have this. if you do have one, i know you can pull it and check to see if the copper wire spool is "burned" it may be faulty. i know you can test it with a 9v battery between two of the four contacts.. i would be careful about testing the current in the connector coming off of the relay.. it's pretty hot(high current!!)

Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the info. It was a fuse, in a different fusebox under the dash, I didn't know there was one there. Any way the dealer charged me $50 so all in all it wasn't too bad.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Well, that is one exoensive fuse. But glad to hear you can hear the radio again.

Old 08-17-2022, 03:28 PM
Default Fuse inside radio

Originally Posted by jbrown16
I did eventually figure out that it was the fuse behind the radio that had to be replaced. So pop the radio out, replace that one, and then go back to the main fuses under the hood and replace that one. Voila!

ETA: Mine is a 99 S70 with 176k and bald tires :-)

can you tell me where the fuse is inside the radio I have a s70 1998