Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Considering buying a 1998 V70... things to look for?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a 1998 V70... things to look for?

I am considering buying a 1998 Volvo V70 with the 2.4L turbo motor from a co-worker. It has 178K miles on it though and I know diddly about Volvos (I do know motors and am technically inclined). The majority of the miles are highway, the motor seems to run fine and the trans shifts OK as far as I can tell. I know it needs new half shafts, an alignment, a couple new tires and some struts up front.

My main concern is if you remove the oil cap on top of the valve cover and/or the dip stick you can see oil/smoke coming out. With 178K miles on it I would completely expect some oil consumption, that I am not worried about, I just want to make sure the motor isn't going to take a dump 5K miles down the road.

What are major items I should look for or ask about? Timing belt, trans flushes, etc?

And how long do these transmissions usually last and what does it cost to rebuild them?

I can get this thing for cheap and I'm OK with dumping $1000 into as long as it will provide 20K+ miles without any other major problems. It will only be used as a secondary vehicle for my wife and I so it wouldn't see many miles a year.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Ryan

Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM

it really depends on what has/has not been replaced/maintained. i would highly recommend a qualified pre-purchase inspection on the car. if i had to estimate the parts costs doing your own work over the next 20k miles, i would ball park $3500. you'll chew up your first $1000 in just what you mentioned.

some people like these cars for reasons i can't understand. personally, i would not recommend them to anyone, based on durability, reliability, parts cost, ease of maintenance and availability of information. on the other hand, if you love a challenge and want to be different, go for it!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Well that's not much of an endorsement, lol. Thanks for the info though.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Default 98 V70 Turbo questions

If you search the posts in the forums, you will find the answers to your questions.
I have a 98 V70 GLT (2.4 turbo) and am enjoying it very much. Some things to look for
right away- Timing Belt and tensioner pulleys should be replaced every 75k miles.
Do the water pump at the same time if you're doing the work yourself.
Flush and replace the tranny fluid ONLY if it is dark brown and smells burned.
The usual wear&tear items- brakes, tires, etc.
The oil or smoke from the dipstick tube could indicate that the PCV system is dirty and partially clogged. Usually best to replace with a new kit.
This model has a history of A/C evaporator issues and heater core may need
attention too.
Other than that- if you buy it, enjoy it.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 AM

I've got a nearly identical mileage v70awd, and no major issues to date. awd is great, but has more potential issues--doesn't sound like you have awd so not a problem for you.

Would recommend you stay up on oil changes. Although mine has no evidence of seal or valve leaks, these engines do tend to run hotter and will get low. Others may have thoughts/observations on this.