Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Dash Top Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash Top Removal

Help!! I am removing the dashtop on a 98 V70 to fix the instrument bulbs. I'm using the Haynes manual. It mentions "removing 6 nuts securing the module to the from of the fascia" in reference to getting the SRS passenger side module ready to take out withthe top fascia. Where are these 6 nuts?? I can't find anything. The Fascia is loose and ready to come out at the driver's side but solidly in place on the passenger side. I've remove two bolts and a nut that were related to the air bag module. There's definitely something holding on tight there and I sure don't want to bust this thig up. What's holding this side in place??
Suggestions/directions greatly appreciated. Yea, I know about the 850 instructions, they are not helping with this job.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Default RE: Dash Top Removal

GOT IT!! I had to push hard on the air bag canister and it popped out of its housing and the whole top came off nice and clean. First time it's a bear but taking the top off is actually pretty easy once it's been done once :-)

Old 05-06-2006, 09:40 PM

BUT it is hard to get back in. Anybody had the Air Bag mounted with two bolts and one stud that has a nut on it? I can't seem to get this sucker to go back in. Some trick to lining things up?
Thanks

Old 05-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Remove the stud till you get it back in.
They usually go back pretty easy.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:13 PM

Thanks Tech, Sorry but there are even more issues. Perhaps they are easily rectified by visiting the dealer for a reset. Here's my diatribe regarding the work covered:

The Car is a 98 V70R - US Model

I'll outline what work I performed first.

1. Disconnected neg batt terminal.
2. Removed Glove box.
3. Disconnected passenger air bag connection on the right of the canister
4. Disconnected something that looked like ground strap. Foam covered silver thing.
5. Started the work to remove dash top for instrument bulb replacement.
6. Had a very difficult time removing top from passenger side, pressed hard on the air bag module until it sort of popped out.
7. Fixed inst panel bulbs.
8. Had another very difficult time putting the top back on. The air bag mounting has a stud and two places for bolts to attach. The stud just wouldn't set in place. I got everything positioned as good as I could and forced the stud to go through the hole using a screwdriver and hammer taps.
9. re-attached the dash top.
10. re-attached the AirBag connector and the ground strap (although I am unsure if I got that in the right place.
11. Put key in the run position.
12. Reconnected battery.
13. Turned key off then on again.
14. SRS Light stays lit all the time.

Anything else I can check for this condition or is the dealer the only place to go? I ended up with an extra nut. There's an outside change I hooked this above mention ground strap up to the wrong place but I can't find any other stud nearby. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT EDIT!!
I forgot, I did connect the instrument panel to check the lights. I re-connected the battery for this and turned on the ignition (didn't start car though) to check the idiot lights for function. I then disconnected the battery and proceeded with step 8. thanks

Old 05-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Administrator

When you tested the lights you set a code for the SRS. That is why the light stays on.
You just need to find a scanner that reads SRS and clear it.

The nut may very well go on the stud for the Ground strap. The stud should be all the way on the right side where the screws go up into the Air bag in the Glove box.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:31 AM

Thanks very much tech. Makes sense. I knew I was going to trigger the system by turning the ignition on, I just figured it would sort itself out once the air bag was back in. I do have the ground strap on the rightmost stud already so I still have an extra nut from someplace. I looked and looked to see if I could find a naked stud in the glove box area and nothing. As long as the ground strap is in the right place I'll stop worring about this. Off to the dealer for a reset.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

I just remembered there was most likely 2 nuts on the stud for the Ground wire.One went on first then the wire then the second nut. That is how Volvo wanted it done but I would always use just one.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:40 AM

Looks like you're probably right about that, it fits. I'll just leave it there and feel good about having no left over parts :-)