Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

ECM replacement/Rebuild ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM replacement/Rebuild ???

I have a 99 V 70 R and think the ECM is on the fritz... I recently have bought a replacement from another car. I have been told that the ECM's are one time use only.... Is this true ??? How can they rebuild ECM's for this year Volvo's . The remanufactures tell you to go to the dealer and have them reprogram the ECU... But the dealer tells me I need a new replacement for $ 1200 plus labor and diag charge... I am getting a little short on patience with this " Fine" car it seems like everything is complicated...... any help would be appreciated.... Thanks Todd

Old 10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: ECM replacement/Rebuild ???

Volvo them selves are the only one that can Totally reset the Module when rebuilding it.

Are you 100% sure yours is bad?

Like I said before it might be worth a shot sending it to a cheap place and try to have the Upgrade it and see if it works.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:07 AM

Dear Tech,

No not 100 % sure if mine is bad... Just assuming because everything else has been replaced... Looks like its off to the dealer again, I think I'll let them come up with a more definitive cause... If I get the thing rebuilt most of those companies send you another one off the shelf and you need to go to the dealer and have them reflash the ECM... My dealer has told me they cant do it on a reman or used one.... Only on a new one from Volvo... If you know of any reliable rebuilders I will contact them and see if they can reman my unit and at least try that... Take care Tech I think I'll just drive the car with the ETS light on and forget about this problem..... The car runs and drives fine ...

Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Administrator

If I remember correctly you are over 80,000 miles aren't you?

I mean have it upgraded like an IPD upgrade. They reprogram yours and you reinstall yours into your car.

I will bet some of the parameters that get reprogrammed are ones messing up the signals.
Thats why I said try that first it might fix it and is alot cheaper than $1200.00.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:51 AM

Thanks Tech:

I looked at the IPD web page and that looks like a viable option. But it seems as though that is going to cost me around a grand. I will call IPD and see if the offer any other reprograms. But the budget might just make that wait unitl the wallet is a little fatter. I guess thats the way to go... correct the problem and upgrade the performance too. I still have one other possibility for this problem... a wiring harness issue. Let me know your thoughts. Was your idea ( Cheap) costing $995.00 or am I cornfused about the services that IPD has ? Please send me your mailing address on my personal E-mail, I'd like to send you a token of thanks for your help.... By the way enjoy your cruise, they are awesome...... YOU ARE GOING TO SLEEP like you' ve never slept before..... Todd

Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Check out this post scrool down to Tuning company's and look through them some are Cheaper than IPD.

That might help a little more.
https://volvoforums.com/m_38612/tm.htm

BTW did I send you the link for a wiring diagram yet?

If not here it is.

http://www.volvotechinfo.com/WD123/