Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Engine Misfire

Old 08-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Misfire

Hi All,
Well for the first time since I've owned my 98 V70R I really needed some power to get myself out of trouble. My CEL was on for the P0410 secondary air failure. I nailed the accelerator from about 30 MPH, all the way to the floor and held it there. The CEL started to flash which I know is the misfire. I didn't feel the engine loose a lot of power like I did the first time this happened to me. The misfire was for cyl 1, same as the previous time I got the flashing CEL. After the first time, I immediately replaced the plugs. The ones in there were very worn out. I put in 5 Denso's which was the only brand the parts place had that were OK in my car. This was 5K miles ago and no problems until yesterday. I do have a new set of Bosch plugs, Bougi wires a cap and rotor waiting to be put in. Should I just replace the Denso's with Bosch and associated equipment and see what happens? Are there other areas to check that could trigger the miss? I am running 89 octane gas in it right now. When the driveshaft was replaced last week, I asked the shop to evaluate the condition of the engine and they didn't report any problems other than some oil leaks. The freeze frame data showed the water temp at 185 degrees, engine load at 85% and rpm at 4950 at the time of the mis-fire.
Thanks

Old 08-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Engine Misfire

I would install the new parts. Do you have the wires to install to ?

If so install all and see what happens.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I do have the wires too. They are the Bugisomething wires, expensive. Do you think running 89 octane could cause a mis say if the knock sensors try to retard the spark too much? Are denso plugs crap? I've used them in my jap cars for years. I didn't get them specifically but the auto parts place didn't have the right bosch. Today I cleared the code and nailed it again, as the tach reached about 5K the cel started blinking and just went solid on after I calmed down a bit. I'll put the new parts in over the weekend.
Thanks Tech.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I like the Bosch Plugs.
Never really heard of any good luck with the Denso's though.