Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Expansion tank change and torx bolt that's stripped

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expansion tank change and torx bolt that's stripped

Hey everyone,

I have a 1998 V70 GLT, which is a 2WD Turbo 2.3, if I am not mistaken. I have a couple of questions. As I posted elsewhere, I think that my expansion tank and/or cap might be leaking or cracked; for a moment I was afraid that it could have been the head gasket or some other dire failure, but the car works like a charm, and there is no oil in the coolant or water in the engine; instead, I get a coolant odor inside the cabin now and then. I checked the carpeting to see if it was the heater core, but that wasn't the problem either.
I think that the problem is the expansion tank because there is evidence of dried coolant underneath it, and I can also hear a slight sibilant noise coming off the cap when the car is warm (I have to put my ear close to the expansion tank).

In any event, I was getting ready to change both the tank and cap, when I saw that many more-experienced forum members recommend also changing the thermostat at the same time. So my two questions are:

1. Which temperature thermostat do I get (FCP Groton's has three: 87, 92, and 107 degrees; I live in Tucson, Arizona which can get pretty damn hot in the summer, if that makes a difference).

2. I noticed that one of the torx bolts that hold the thermostat in place is kind of stripped (from previous owner). What is the recommended way of getting it out? Should I buy new torx bolts, or maybe hex bolts, to avoid this problem in the future? (Why Volvo would use torx heads with such large bolts is something I can't understand).

As usual, I thank you for your time and I appreciate your input.

P.S. I apologize for the long preface .

Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Default RE: Expansion tank change and torx bolt that's stripped

BUMP.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can get new screws from either Volvo which are now made better or just put Hex head screws in there.
Me I would buy new ones from Volvo. I like to keep things original like that.

Make sure you have a good brand Torxes socket and pray the screw will come right out.
I think the 87 might be the best way to go.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the answer Tech.

What do I do if the screw is too stripped to come out, that is if I can't get it to turn with a torx socket? I have a set of those Craftsman bits that are supposed to hold on to stripped screws, but I don't want to do anything without being sure.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That might work. Just Please becareful. The thermostat housings are known for breaking off the head if they are tapped top hard with a hammer and a chisel or something like that.

So tread lightly if you know what I mean.