Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Family growing, looking at V70 wagons..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Family growing, looking at V70 wagons..

Hello, newbie to this forum, My wife currently drives a 2005.5 TDI Jetta, loeaded 6 speed auto. She's owned it since new, drove it to NY from OR, etc etc. currently has 116k miles. We had our first kid on 1/1/11 and have 2 dogs (great dane and rat terrier) and in the past we've had buick roadmasters, caprices, etc I currently have a ext cab silverado (we're farmers)
We are looking to get into a volvo (used) and don't really need the AWD of an XC 70.. SO that leads me to the V70.. Looking for something in the 05-07 range with less than 100K... (kinda depends on how much we can get for the TDI)
several of my friends have volvos, and have grown up with them etc.

Trying to figure our what years to get, what engines to get etc. definately has to be auto.. Basically I know very little about them.. Are there good stickies I should be reading over?
Thanks!
Jonathan

Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM

Anyone Beuhler??

Whats the difference between this forum and volvoforum.com???

Am I not posting the right questions???
30+ views and no responses?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM

No expert here, but will share what I've heard. AWD is great--I have it in 98 v70. Trans failure is expensive. Then again, 188k on mine and no issues, knock on wood. If you don't need that, no issue.

Beyond timing belt, engines are great. But that applies more to 5 cyl. Don't know much about newer 6cyl.

If kids hauling is a potential objective, the older model with third row rear facing seat is great. That's the reason I got mine. I'd previously had a Cad escalade with third row, 07 Toyota highlander with 3rd row, and the old volvo was a better option in this regard. Kids just jump in back instead of climbing through the cabin.

Also had a LR discovery with jumpseats--not a bad deal in that regard.

The volvo pet net seperating rear from rest of cabin is pretty good.

My thought is that anything more than five years old kind of starts to fall into the same bucket of issues. Maintenance, belts, hoses, etc. If you want worry free, buy 3 yrs old or less (and still cross fingers). If you are going five years out, expect to have the costs of owning an older vehicle.

Engines are a crap shoot based upon what you want. A turbo is more expensive (just like AWD), when you have issues come up. As example, my replacement radiator for turbo model was $100 more than non-turbo radiator. But the difference in price for a used car with turbo vs used car without turbo would be nominal. So you can get more car/performance for the money.

Reliability wise I really don't know. You'd have to do some extensive research. As example I opted for 98 vs 99-02 because there were some apparent weaknesses to that era platform.

Either way you go, I'd recommend a T5 engine as it has a great longevity record. My 98 runs better in that regard than vehicles I've owned with 60k miles. And I've owned over 15 vehicles in past 15 yrs.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A Wise Choise

Hello, I too read your post and skipped it because it's similar to the "what to look for/avoid" posts. If the V70 is the shell you need then you're half way there. bulldog touched on some points and I'd like to throw my 2 cents in. In no way do I intend to start a war. All are welcome to join in. 1) True, trannie failure is expensive but it is generally agreed upon that the stupid, Ford addition of the stop neutral function as well as questionable valve bodies were ceased sometime in the 2002 model year. Every auto maker which used the AW55-50 5 speed has had success with it. The 4 speed, which was used through 2000, is very rugged. Never believe Volvo's claim that the transmission fluid is "life-long". That's just plain stoned and foolish. 2) The timing belt is vastly cheaper to replace then, say, a Subaru timing belt with it's 4 rollers and extensive disassembly procedure. The Volvo has 2 rollers and can be done by you in 3 hours. 3) Don't reward the piggish corporate system which created the 6 cylinder engine of 2008. I hope the Chinese ownership gives that modern anachronism the ax. The 5 cyl. non-turbo is great at 167 hp. The turbo engines are very hearty and come in several power levels. 4) bulldog's 1998 is the Lusted-After-King of V70's since it has a cable controlled throttle. The bad ETM's (Electric Throttle Module) were replaced during the 2002 model year. My '02 V70 has the new style. Should you find an older V70 with the questionable ETM which is to your liking just remember that Xemodex (a Canadian company) has an economical rebuild service. 5) Just for reference; shocks, struts, spring mounts, nuts and flexible rubber stuff for my 2002's front end cost $460 during a site sponsor's Spring sale. 6) While the T5 is the "Big Dog on the Block" in terms of power, I'd think in terms of avoiding someone's discarded muscle car. I'd steer you toward a non-turbo since you're "farmers". If you need to eat up a lot of mountains or drive in the High Southwest, I'd think turbo. 7) Did anybody mention service records? Good luck, Kira

Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 AM

Sorry for a similar post...
We are looking specifically at the 05-07 and possibly 04 if its a total gem... all non turbo, auto, and 2WD

I've read that it is a good idea to avoid the XC line prior to '03 but honestly the VW is a 2005.5 (bascially an 06) and we have no intention of going backwards in model year, again unless it is an absolute mint car..

Can you point me in a direction to some threads that explain the volvo jargan? ie T5? thats the 2.5 turbo? I literally know almost nothing about volvos.. What year did the chinese take over ownership? before that it was ford? or swedish?

Also what year/models of tubo require premium fuel? I have read that they do need it, and I have read that they don't need it..
Thanks!
Jonathan
PS. What is the difference between volvoforumS and volvoforum?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Default Volvo shopper eh?

Hello, I know of no Volvo glossary on line. That would be a cool thing. There is a low pressure turbo. There's mention of T3 and T5 in my owner's manual. I think there was a T6 as well but not in a V70. Every turbocharged car on Earth requires a premium fuel due to the elevated heat. Yes, you can play around with mid-grades depending on where you live (altitude, mountainous driving etc.) and how fiercely you intend to drive. Ford got controlling interest in Volvo in April 1999. Before that I don't know who owned what percentage of the Swedish company. I'd guess Geley bought it in early 2010.
Go to each of the Volvo related boards (Brickboard[dot]com, volvoforums[dot]org[dot]uk, matthew'svovlosite, the V70 R forum, volvoforum[dot]com) and search the words ETM, ABS rebuild, AW55-50, bevel gear, control arm bushing and PCV breather box. Honestly there isn't anything spooky about Volvo maintenance. The ABS controller drops out the bottom real easily and can be refreshed while you still have use of the car. The 5-speed transmission questions have been answered. Go to the English (.uk) website for all the chatter on that one. Avoid poly bushings anywhere except the front control arms. Do the balloon test on the dipstick tube with the engine running on any car you look at. It reveals a working or clogged PCV system.
As always, if the cost of premium fuel is too much to bear then just resign yourself to the fact that a non-turbo is the ride for you.
Volvoforum[dot]com just seems to have less subscription than the others. The info is good. Someone there posted instructions on how to replace my leaking "J" hose. I'm forever in his debt. Good luck shopping. What's your APPROXIMATE price range, farmer? Kira

Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM

There's a lot more experience than mine on this site. But I'd say that my 98 turbo definately does better with the premium octane. I don't drive it hard, but can expect better mpg with better grade fuel.

I had an 01 s60 T5 when they first came out and that was a similar exprience. MHO is that, if maintained, these engines are much more bulletproof than most. There's a lot of these on the road with MUCH higher mileage than you'd expect. If you look at some of my other posts, I've owned a lot of vehicles and never thought I'd be daily driving something with 190k miles. But I can't stand to get rid of it. The miscellaneous crap fails with age but the engine seems "stronger" than vehicles I've owned with 70k miles. So I keep going with it.

Best luck, and the model years you're looking at should treat you well also from what I've gleaned. Not trying to flame, but would stay away from T6's. Don't think they have same longevity record from what I've learned.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 AM

The thing is I am not looking for a car that I have to do a bunch of upgrades to to make it reliable.
That is why we are getting a newer car...

I am really aggrivated with the current car market in that the only big wagon out there is the volvo... I have owned Buick Roadmaster wagons, caprice wagons etc.. (and currently also have a 95 LT1 caprice, and thats the fun summer project car that I mod) and they were GREAT cars, they just stopped making them 15 years ago. Now the family is growing and I want something that has LOTS of airbags and LOTS of room inside, but ISN'T some tall-*** SUV that gets 12MPG...

From what I've heard the new Hyundai's and KIA's are fantastic in many ways... But still no big wagons!
Right now it's a tossup between an outback and a V70... I just don't know if the outback is long enough to comfortably put the infant seat (rear facing) in without the passenger chewing on his/her knees... Which is a major problem with our current TDI MKV...
ARGH!
Jonathan

Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM

The above posters have given you a great more detail than I can. My experience is with a '98 that is still in the family in Amsterdam and going strong with over 200K mi. on it; and with the one still in my own garage, a 2006 2.5T FWD with 90K problem-free miles, that I just finished detailing this week. It still looks new. Nothing but TLC and following the maintenance schedule, which will include the timing belt before too long.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Default An Idea

Hello, Just check out the Kawasaki line of cars. There's a "chunky" wagon-the name of which I can't bring to mind-which might, with the help of a Class II (1.25") trailer hitch and a suitable small trailer meet all your needs. You could start a trend. You could save $ all the time on gasoline. I'd give it serious consideration. Kira

Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 AM

Kawasaki makes cars in the states?

No need for a trailer, I have a big *** extended cab chevy truck that we use for hauling produce to the farmer's market etc. Ironically the infant seat fits very well in the back seat of my truck, but not the VW...
The problem is we also have 2 dogs (one is a 125 lb great dane) and she needs a considerable amount of space.. In the truck she can ride in the bed, But we don't want another gas guzzler truck/SUV so we'd like to get a wagon.. I'll google Kawasaki wagon...
Thanks
Jonathan

Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM

Got where you're coming from. I went through the same drill about 4 yrs ago. Wanted the third row seat and cargo space option without being huge sport ute platform. Wound up with Toy Highlander. Didn't love it, and had failure with hybrid drive at about 10k miles. Not a confidence builder.

My cousin (like a brother) had a 92 I think Buick Roadmaster which was just an incredibly huge wagon. Lot of good fishing trip memories in that land yacht. Third row rear facing seating like the volvo and cargo space everywhere.

Sport utes have seriously replaced wagon options. My thing was third row seating, and in a car platform volvo was it. Most wagons for a while now (as with cars) have limited second row space--so infant seats if your front seats are back don't have much room.

Mercedes has had a decent sized wagon for a while now. Newer models not so much with all of the sloping roof line. Think that volvo is pretty much it from what you've said you want, other than the Kawa suggestion below which I know nothing about. Good Luck. Wish the big land yacht wagons would come back. I have some great memories as a teenager of a buick century wagon which was considered midsized but had great space--but THOSE memories are forever locked in the vault!!!

Good luck and post what you come up.