Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Harsh Clicking/Shaking while cruising and braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh Clicking/Shaking while cruising and braking

Hey everyone,

I have a 98 V70 T5 AWD.

I am experiencing clicking all the time, which is very much like axle noise I have heard during sharp turns, and also some pretty intense vibrations.

The vibrations are most pronounced when braking, which I presume is the boot fighting the centrifugal force it has sustained while the car was accelerating and cruising.

I do believe it is the passenger side CV axle as the boot is torn completely and has been that way for who knows how long.

The car has 120K with original axles.

I have never heard of constantly clicking axles, so I wanted to ask if I should check anything else like the coupling between the trans to the drive shaft?

All the bearings and joints seem okay and intact, except for the sway bar links, but those shouldn't have any effects such as the clicks or vibrations.

Has anyone dealt with this situation, or know if axles do indeed click all the time when they are bad?

Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eero W
Hey everyone,

I have a 98 V70 T5 AWD.

I am experiencing clicking all the time, which is very much like axle noise I have heard during sharp turns, and also some pretty intense vibrations.

The vibrations are most pronounced when braking, which I presume is the boot fighting the centrifugal force it has sustained while the car was accelerating and cruising.

I do believe it is the passenger side CV axle as the boot is torn completely and has been that way for who knows how long.

The car has 120K with original axles.

I have never heard of constantly clicking axles, so I wanted to ask if I should check anything else like the coupling between the trans to the drive shaft?

All the bearings and joints seem okay and intact, except for the sway bar links, but those shouldn't have any effects such as the clicks or vibrations.

Has anyone dealt with this situation, or know if axles do indeed click all the time when they are bad?
Sounds like you need axles and sway bar links, and you know it. So what are you waiting for? Oh, and maybe a driveshaft too?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:31 AM

Yea, I am aware of these issues, but my concern was the possibility of an incorrect diagnosis. I have never worked on an AWD car, and wanted to hear what you all had to say, in case there is something else I should be looking for.

I have priced some axles on rockauto made by APWI. Has anyone used these before?

They are $125 for both shipped to my door, vs. $180-190 for the Duralast from autozone down the street.

thanks for the help.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:58 PM

So I let a mechanic friend ride in the car today and he said it was more than the axle. It is likely a mount or coupling to the RWD half.

What should I look for while I am inspecting everything?

Thanks All

Old 01-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I think just remove the driveshaft and re-test.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM

I removed the drive shaft and now there is no noise or vibration. The axles are okay and maybe I can get away with rebooting and packing....

What should I inspect now?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Reboot the CV asap. The OEM axles are a lot better than any aftermarket axle you will get.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 PM

I am pretty sure all the suspension is okay, I meant to ask what in the drivetrain should I inspect since the driveshaft was vibrating so greatly.

Would any other components in the drive train from the front to the rear need to be inspected before I assume the driveshaft needs to be rebuilt, or have a new carrier bearing installed?

I don't see how this shaft was the only part needing attention considering all that is involved with the AWD system..........

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:38 AM
Default Braking issues

I have a super clean 06 S60 just got the polestar upgrade done. It's used to shake once and awhile while braking after dipping her hard. After this upgrade more tourqe and HP it's shaking/vibrating more :/ granite I have been ripping her to feel/enjoy the$8bills I paid for. I thought rotors at first but have checked and feeled them soft as a baby's *** lol any help would be appreciated. BTW I have 66,700 miles which makes me wonder what could be going wrong.