Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Have I bought a dog?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have I bought a dog?

Hi All,
I have just bought a 2nd hand V70 (70,000 k)and having what appear to be common tranny probs ie revving out of gear then clunking between gear changes. Lucky for me it's still under dealer warranty So anyway I typed in "volvo V70 forums" into google and landed here to get up to speed. I traded a Subaru Outback (260,000 ks) for the Volvo and now regretting it. Only had the V70 for two days. On the "Outback" forums it's all about doing up your car but here it's all pain in regards to the Volvo giving their owners grief. Please tell me it's not all bad because it took two months to convince my wife to trade to a Volvo. This is my fourth one.
Help.
Andrew

Old 09-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Have I bought a dog?

Hard to say, but since you are under warranty, you need to take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. What year is it?

Old 09-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimKW
By the way you are in teh S70 forum, not V70.
Moved!!

Old 09-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Wow that was quick. I got out of the S70 forum and came here and saw the post. Thought I was losing it until I read S70 had moved it.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:31 PM

My opinion...I feel Volvo owners are not so inclined to "do up" or mod there cars because Volvo may tend to attract more older or mature individuals who appreciate the machines that Volvo's are. I personally don't want mess with the "feel" of my car. With that said, there are plenty of owners who do mod there Volvo's.

Take advantage of your warranty.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:03 PM

Sorry, it's a 2000 model. Don't get me wrong it's a great car but as I read more posts through the forum I start to get a bit worried as there are alot of posts about problems. Big problems. When I said "do up" it was not about hooning, it was more about better tyres, suspension etc. After all the K's we put on the Subaru we only ever had tyre problems I live in country NSW (Australia) so drive on dirt alot so we had alot of blow-outs from the dodgy Yoko tyres that they came with until we changed brand. Anyway, the car does have the 3 month warranty which I think we will be using to get the tranny done. Sadly to say the nearest dealer is three hours away. I'll keep you posted.
Andrew

PS. I agree with 98v70 in regards to Volvo owners are more likely to keep their cars stock. I'm over "doing up" cars and just want to enjoy them as they are.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have had Volvo's since 1985 and have never modded one, but I might be getting ready to. Not sure what I am going to do yet, but I'm think about doing some things to my 97 850 R. Probably start with an exhaust system, but I don't want it to be loud, just better performance and maybe a little deeper sound.

Oh by the way I am older an more mature. Consider the fact that my daughter has an S80 T6 and my son has a V70 R, and my 2nd grandchild is on the way. Justin's wife is having a baby boy in December. I just like fast cars. alway have and probably alway will. I can remember riding with my Dad when he raced people with his 55 Studebaker Hawk. I guess it's in the blood so to speak. I also remember going to stock car races an watching my older brother drive a pink 53 Chevy. I don't think he ever finished a race though.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Vineboydownunder

Hi All,
I have just bought a 2nd hand V70 (70,000 k)and having what appear to be common tranny probs ie revving out of gear then clunking between gear changes. Lucky for me it's still under dealer warranty So anyway I typed in "volvo V70 forums" into google and landed here to get up to speed. I traded a Subaru Outback (260,000 ks) for the Volvo and now regretting it. Only had the V70 for two days. On the "Outback" forums it's all about doing up your car but here it's all pain in regards to the Volvo giving their owners grief. Please tell me it's not all bad because it took two months to convince my wife to trade to a Volvo. This is my fourth one.
Help.
Andrew
Hi, you are lucky that its covered by warrenty..
Software upgrades do help, Try that first,
but if not, new tranny installed about 5-7k.
Get the dealer to replace the tranny, if software does not help, anything else is a quick fix
and will only falter at a later date..
Volvo are aware they have tranny problems with the 1st gen v70 2000 model...
If you read the v70 forums here, you will see quite a few posts on tranny issues, read through
them and go in armed with your argument..
Best of luck

V70 2.4t also a Aussie..

Old 10-12-2006, 07:47 AM

Got the good news today. Got "it" back from the mechanic after they cleared all the adaptive memory from the gearbox. Made no difference. They said "it" needs a reco box which will cost about AU$6000 installed. Lucky it's still under warranty. I'll keep you posted

Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 AM

The dealer has come to pick up the car for the gearbox repairs. Been two weeks now. Starting to get a bit nervous.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:57 PM

Update. The dealer still has the car. It's had a reco box in it now but still playing up, now in reverse so they are going to go right through it. Car has been gone over 4 weeks now. Lucky for us the dealer is a decent person and has given us a Merc' ML 430 in the meantime. Might keep the Merc' if things don't get better with the Volvo!

Old 12-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Update #2. Yes it is a dog. finally got the car back six weeks later. They fixed the tranny. It was a shorting out problem between the battery and the gearbox. It kept resetting it's memery each time there was a short. This may or may not be true but at least the gearbox is OK now. However when I picked up the car it now handles like a viking ship and there is a massive amount of noise in the front end. Took it to my local guy yesterday and he said the shocks are stuffed and it's dangerous to drive! He has never seen both shocks go at 75K and both at once. Something is up. There are also a heap of faults coming up. Not happy.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Take it back to the Dealer and make them fix it.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Dog update. Driver side shock has gone again, engine is surging while driving, can hardly open rear tailgate, sunroof rattles like a mad woman. Taking it up today for it's 100k service and hopefully selling it in a week or two. I spoke to Volvo Australia about it and also gave them the link to this forum. I figure that if car companies know what really happens with their cars down the track then hopefully improvements will be made. As I started before this is the 4th volvo I've (my family) owned and will be the last. Regrettably.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:36 AM

Update again. got the service done, replaced, repaired and refit. Thought car was going OK until my wife and daughter have headed off on a 2500klm trip into Queenslands outback. Now it cuts out as she's driving along with the error message "Engine system service urgent". Ring the service guy and he says it sounds like it needs a software update on the fuel throttle body. The closest person that can do this is 3 hrs away. Not happy!