Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Headlamp Bulb Mount Melted

Old 06-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlamp Bulb Mount Melted

Hello all. Im working on my 2004 Volvo V70 AWD Station Wagon with sunroof - specifically my driverside Headlamp assembly. High Beam light came on and when I checked the bulb I found it had come lose from the socket in the assembly. Apparently it was on long enough to melt the plastic socket piece that holds the bulb in place. The reflector is undamaged but I cannot screw in a new bulb until I replace the socket piece.

My question is - is this a seperately available piece (I noted its held in place by 3 very small torx bolts). I have not seen it listed as available seperate from the whole headlamp assembly. Has anyone come up with a 'shadetree' fix to this problem?

If possible Id like to avoid having to replace the whole assembly just because a $1 plastic piece melted (see the black plastic ring with three small torx bolts attached to reflector below. You can see the area that used to be notched to accept the bulb socket has melted so it can no longer hold it).

Thank you in advance.

Here is the mount that partially melted it is held on by 3 bolts (number on it 'PA6M30')

Update: Went to the dealer and they said Id have to replace the entire assembly - no replacement part for the mount is available through them. I got some high temp epoxy and Im gonna repair the bulb mount shade-tree style. If it fails it may trash the reflector but so what Ill have to repalce that anyway. In the mean time Ill look around for damaged headlamp assemblies to see if I can lift that part off a cheap used part.

Last edited by donalan; 06-26-2014 at 10:50 AM.