Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

how to buy third seat? must color code match?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to buy third seat? must color code match?

Hi - I have a 2000 V70 wagon color code 3960 and would like to get an after market third seat and install ourselves. I heard that the color codes MUST match or a bracket/clip in the middle will not install correctly. Does anyone have advice? Could I get ANY tab/beige seat, or does it have to be 3960? Thanks to anyone who has advice on this!

To add, what the Volvo salvage yard in Seattle told me was that it can be done with different colors, but was a lot more work as the middle clip doesn't line up and if you don't install correctly the seat can close (fold down) in an accident. He said they usually recommend replacing the middle section of the second row of seats to match the color code of the third seat as that is easier than retro-fitting if the color codes don't match up. I have the lighter beige (3960) not the darker one. I called the dealership service and they didn't know about different color codes being more difficult to install. Any advice is super appreciated. Have you installed a third seat that has a different color code and if so, did it work? Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Beverly; 04-24-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Question third seat latch/clip - different locations per color code????

I was wrong, it's not something in the middle. There is a latch the goes into the back of the second seat when the third seat is open. This latch opening pre-exists in the second seats, but is in a different location on different color codes. Is that true? Does anyone know if the pre-mounted latch opening in the back of the second row of seats is in a different location in each color code. This is what I have been told by a couple places in Seattle. The dealership service guy didn't know anything about the latch. Thanks so much to anyone who might have advice. Have you installed a third seat with a different color code?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM

If you are going to get the third row seat from a salvage yard, you will need the back of the middle seat anyway. That is how the third row secures up. You will not need to worry about the line up since you will have the matching sections. Vehicles that do not have the third row option will not have the matching slot (or any slot) in the middle seat.