Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

how do you remove the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you remove the dash?

hello everyone,

i have a '98 v70 and the fan doesn't work anymore...when i move the little lever (on the midconsole) i hear something under the hood which should mean it still gets the airco going etc. but it's just that the fan doesnt move...in order to have a look i'm gonna have to take of the dash or the front of the middle console with all the dials etc...i think, the little fan motor should be directly behind it.
i have no idea how to do this...anyone have a clue or did this before?
it should be in the haynes book, which i don't have unfortunately...

thanks in advance

Pieter (Netherlands/France)

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 AM

the fan is behind the glove box. remove the glove box and you will see it. you will also need to remove the bolster to get the fan out.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pieter
hello everyone,

i have a '98 v70 and the fan doesn't work anymore...when i move the little lever (on the midconsole) i hear something under the hood which should mean it still gets the airco going etc. but it's just that the fan doesnt move...in order to have a look i'm gonna have to take of the dash or the front of the middle console with all the dials etc...i think, the little fan motor should be directly behind it.

Pieter (Netherlands/France)
Pieter, do you mean the large blower motor for your A/C & Heater or small fan motor that draws air in from the cabin for the ACC temperature sensor?

As stated above, you A/C & Heater blower motor is on the passenger side behind and below your glove box. The ACC temperature sensor has a small fan and motor mounted on it. It is located right next to your rear window defrost swith in your mid-console switch bank. To gain access to it remove your radio;(know your radio code if you disconnect the wires), then remove your temperature contol box. The ACC temp sensor & fan is just to the left of the opening. It has one electric connector, then depress the buttons/ears on the housing and it will release as you pull it slightly towards the windscreen. The one on my 98 V70XC was clogged full with lint and would not let the motor run. Hope that helps.

Jay (KY, USA)

Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM

hello Jay,

i guess i mean the blower motor; it's the blower that you turn on with the slide-lever...all the way on the left it's on auto, then there's 0 and then you can slide it all the way to the right for max.

so yeah, i'll have a look this weekend, i hope it's just some plug that's disconnected or something

Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Default Check here first

Originally Posted by Pieter
hello Jay,

i guess i mean the blower motor; it's the blower that you turn on with the slide-lever...all the way on the left it's on auto, then there's 0 and then you can slide it all the way to the right for max.

so yeah, i'll have a look this weekend, i hope it's just some plug that's disconnected or something
Pieter, you can look into the condition of your blower motor eaiser from under the hood. By that I mean to see if it free-wheels and is not seized up without pulling it out of the car. Raise the hood and remove your cabin filter, from there you see the squirrel cage that moves the air through AC/Heater box. You can reach in and see if it turns freely with your hand. If it doesn't that usually means that the blower motor is seized up.

As others have said, you can remove the blower moter from the car without removing the dash. You can find plenty of pictures of the process here. I have some too if you need them. I wish you good luck. Cheers