Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

How to Select The Correct Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Select The Correct Alternator?

I have a 2000 (new shape) V70 2.4T.

I have an awful squealing on start up, for about 10 seconds. Removing the aux belt stops the problem (belt is in perfect condition), so that makes it the steering pump, the alternator, the tensioner or the a/c compressor.

I replaced the belt tensioner yesterday (wheel was a bit wobbly) - but that's not solved the problem (although there is a slight improvement).

The aircon is gurgling- it could be the a/c compressor, I've heard that the refrigerant also acts as a lubricant. It's been gurgling for a few weeks so I could have killed it by not attending to it sooner - there is a small amount of rub on the pully/clutch arrangement.

It could be the power steering pump there has been a very small leak out of the bearing/shaft for a year.

BUT, logic tells me that because it last for a short while after starting - it must be the alternator - I also hear that it not uncommon that it becomes a screamer when it's had it - but it does sound like belt slip - very hard to tell.

Does that make sense? Any one disagree?

So, I'm looking for a new alternator (Dealer wants £466 for one!!). There is a blistering array to choose from (all at half the cost of the main dealer). The dealer tells me my V70 is "A 120Amp model" which I thought would make it easy - but can't find one on Eurocarparts - and the only one listed in Nordic is for a diesel. - the rest are 160Amps.

Can I use a 160A (or 140A) in place of a 120A? - or does each model have different mounting arrangements? (or is larger and won't fit in the space available).

Does anyone know if a way to prevent the alternator from charging the battery (easily I mean, not by having to disconnect the main cable, which looks as hard as removing it) - I figure if there is no load on it, then the belt wont squeal - I don't really want to replace the alternator to find it's the a/c pump.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can speak to is the alternator capacity. Excess capacity simply allows you to run more electrical gear while still charging the battery at a reasonable rate. All 12-volt system alternators put out the correct charging voltage post-regulator.