Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Major Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Electrical Issue

I have a 2004 Volvo V70 that I purchased in 2005 with 19K miles on it. I have driven it everywhere and have had so much fun with it. It still runs great and looks good. Then my problem started! Electrical short. I was told to take it to a Volvo dealer. I did this and they said the rear electrical module was bad and it would cost $950. I said fix it! It was right before Thanksgiving and I had an extra car so I didn't get to worried about it over the holidays, it gets crazy here in Florida with all the snowbirds coming down. So after the first of the year I start checking on the car. They said I picked it up, I told them no several times and told them to keep looking. Well, they found it about April 1st, crazy but true, and said it would not be $950 but several thousands of dollars. At this point I had lost confidence in the dealership and drove the car home, with a few lights not working, I had my daughter follow me. So, I know an electrical genius, seriously, and he said he could fix it, which he did. But after awhile I started have shorts again. I believe the rear electrical control module is bad because after he fixed all the wiring issues it started happening again.
QUESTION: does anyone know of any options in replacing the read electrical control module other than going back to a dealership which is looking too expensive for me, or maybe even the automobile, at this point. I would love to keep my wonderful V70 that I had already started making plans to start a restoration process.
Thank you - Charles Witsman, Leesburg, FL

Old 05-18-2022, 09:00 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Check out XeMoDeX. https://xemodex.com/us/available-ser...ule-1994-2004/

Those are the two types of services for your car. They are a great company with lots of knowledge. They will also make sure it is bad before providing the service and provide you with the faults before and after.

You can either supply a REM and swap software over, or get one from them. Simple plug and play once you receive your fixed unit.

A LOT cheaper than the dealer.

EDIT: I used them for my 06 S60 to repair my CEM and got a unit from them. They offer upgraded units compared to OE. They will add better cooling, sealing, etc. I personally think it is worth it.

Last edited by Dingus1; 05-18-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Dingus1. I will be checking this out and letting all know. Best wishes!