Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Please help me keep my v70 (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please help me keep my v70 (long post)

Hey honored members of Volvoforums.

I've been on these forums lurking for a while, but not really active in posting. a bit of info.

I bought a 99 V70 GLT a couple of months ago, and got it for commuting, since my 190E sorta fell apart, and i wouldn't want to drive it in the winter. i got a very good deal, and am very happy with my choice. She has 165000 miles right now, and she's holding up good. I'm the 2nd owner of the car, and the carfax is clean. She runs strong, very reliable all around.

Anyways, here i go with my big dealbreaking or driving this car untill the wheels fall off in about 300000 extra miles. I'm 6'3" high, and have very long legs. I find myself not fitting comfortably into the drivers seat. I have the seat (motorized) all the way back, and the height all the way down, and i still find it to be uncomfortable for my knees. luckily i only drive 7 miles each direction to work, but if i take a 2-3 hour trip, i find myself cramped.

Is there any way to modify the seat to go back further? It could be higher, but i'd like it to go further back. maybe any way to lengthen the track the motor runs on? maybe something else?

The reason i'm a little puzzled, is because i'm contemplating getting a different car, that I can comfortably fit in, but if there is a way, i'd keep this car, modify it, and run it into the ground. I love the car that much.

anyways, if there's anything you guys can suggest, LMK. I have the volvo vadis dvd, so i'd be able to do some handy work on it if necesery.

THX in advance

Attila

Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 PM

That's an easy one with the seat, BUT you would have to find a shop that would do the work OR find a welder and see if he/she could do the work. I know a few friends that do custom work on cars and have done this. What u want to do is find someone with a parts car and see if they would sell the track system on their s70 and then take yours, cut the ends and weld the new one on to lenghten, then have them attach it to the floorboard! Cake. Just make sure that once it is welded, that the seams are flush so the seat goes smoothly on the track!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 PM

wow. sounds like a lot of work i couldn't do. Dang, here i thought it would be simple. lol... Thx for the quick reply. Anyone have a spare s/v70 for parts?

cheers

Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM

BTW would a 98 s70, or a 98 v70 track work? I was at a local junk yard just for the fun of it, and saw these two cars with their seats in their places, so i guess the track system is still up for grabs...

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM

You could remove the drivers seat, then get two pieces of flat metal, a little longer, or as long as required and bolt them to the original seat mounts. Then re - attach your seat to the two new pieces of metal, further back.
This way you should be able to get the seat at the exact distance required. It would be slightly higher, but only by the distance of the thickness of the two metal strips..