Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Power seat moves when car is off

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seat moves when car is off

I've got a weird problem with the power seat tilting back when the car is off. I believe it happens a little bit each time I leave the car. In general, I have to re-adjust it to the memory-stored spot once every 3-4 days.

Additionally, I went out this morning to discover the 30 A fuse for the seat was blown. Has anybody else experienced this problem or know a solution?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The car isn't named Christine by any chance, is it? I saw a movie about a car with that problem (among others) some years ago.

Sounds like you have a switch that doesn't completely open. So you're getting some very intermittent current draw. Which might also explain the blown fuse.

You need to locate the pos and neg on the seat recline motor and see if there's current flowing when ignition is off and recline button not being touched. Does the button, btw, feel like the one on the other side? Could be a mechanical failure of the button to completely release when you let go.

I hate electrical problems.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Smile Power Seat

It is a memory thing. The seat returns to the primary driver's seating position that was set. When other people use it and re-adjust it, the owner does not have to worry about it because it goes back to the original preset primary driver setting. Check your manual for it. I use to sell Volvo's and this is one of our best selling features.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:14 AM

Thank you both for your responses!

Malaka - I have not had the chance to open things up to get a multimeter in there. It's an interesting thought and quite possible.

bernzpeed - I don't think it's a deliberate action. I am the only one who drives the car and my "preferred" setting is set as Mem 1. Additionally, the seat seems to tilt back a little bit every day or two, and does not make one big adjustment as one might expect if it were reverting back to some saved state.

If I turn anything up with the switch, I'll post back. Thanks again!