Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

PVC replacement- How to clean oil trap holes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PVC replacement- How to clean oil trap holes

My car is smokin really bad. I replaced the PVC system and it still smokes. I did not clean out the holes in the block at the oil trap. I was told to clean them with a wire brush. I can't get at them with a wire brush. Does anyone have a picture of what they look like inside so I can get an idea what I am doing.

I can't get my fat fingers in there to feel around lol

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default details, please

Hello, I've never seen a picture of the inside of the upper reaches of the crankcase. Are you saying that you replaced the PCV system-got all the way down to removing the breather box, saw the clogged holes in the engine block and didn't pick at them in any way? Do it again and use the stainless steel ribs from old wiper blades-or pieces of wire rope-to reach in. It'll be tortuous and slow to be sure. Use solvents like brake cleaner spray to aid in breaking up clumps of sludge. Wear an organic chemical mask as that stuff is brain rot supreme. Remember to rinse the oil pan after you're done so the pick-up doesn't clog. The only alternative would be to completely disassemble the engine and have it cleaned in a vat. That might be the ticket since the smoke might be from a source other than a clogged PCV system. Any history on this car? Year, trim level, mileage? A neglected engine of many years might be better off replaced with a rebuild. It's what you may very well need AND you'd get a guarantee. Good luck. Kira