Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Spring seats and swaybar links

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring seats and swaybar links

Got tired of the rattles and thumps coming from the front end of my '01 v70, so I purchased upper spring seats and new sway bar links. Any one out there successfully completed either of these tasks? Do I need to compress the spring prior to removing the strut from the car, or does the strut/spring come out as one piece and then proceed with disassemble?

Also, any special tools/knowledge required for replacing front sway bar links?

Thanks, Sean

Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 PM

I can comment on the strut removal. Just did 2 different cars. I guess some of the technique depends on the tools at hand. I had an air impact wrench.

No you do not need to compress the spring prior to removal. I did it this way the first time out of ignorance, so your question is EXCELLENT. Please make sure you have the spring compressors in place to remove the tension prior to the nut removal on top. Kind of tricky with the cross nut that Volvo used (PIPE WRENCE RECOMMENDED). The instructions I used had me loosen but not remove the nut on top prior to removal . Since I had an air wrench I didn't see a need to do that, but you can go either way.

Keep asking questions, we’ll do our best to answer. BTW, please post the results. The things you had problems with and any innovative ideas you came across to solve problems. We all learn every time we share our experiences. Another BTW took 2 hours to do one side, less than 20 minutes to do the other side. I think that says a lot about the learning curve. Of course I was stupid enough to compress the springs prior to removal on the 1st side! You won’t because you had enough sense to ask.

Jerry

Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info- I've found that a little bit of knowledge can sometimes save a lot of time. I'll post the results.

Sean

Old 11-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by roosterize
Thanks for the info- I've found that a little bit of knowledge can sometimes save a lot of time. I'll post the results.

Sean
FWIW, for the top nut removal, once the spring was compressed, I used a hex key and a box wrench. There is a hex socket in the top of the strut, Put the key in there as a counterhold, and use the box wrench to loosen the nut. Works great and you avoid mucking anything up with heavier and incorrect tools.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. My brother in-law did this project on T-giving day. I was a little nervous as I watched him though - compressing the springs using an air wrench. The flanged retainer nut on the drivers side spring seat gave us a little trouble as the steel sleeve had broken loose from the rubber. Other than that all went smoothly and much more quickly than I thought it would. Took just about an hour to change both upper spring seats and front sway bar end links.
However, I found some play in the passenger side strut bearing, so I'll be fixing that shortly.

-Sean