Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Squeak or Squeal at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak or Squeal at Idle

I've searched high and low across the net for an answer, hopefully someone can zero me in on a problem I am having.

I have a squeak or squeal coming from the engine. It appears to be coming from the drivers side or the front of the engine. It only seems to happen when the car is at normal operating temps. From what I can tell it only happens at idle and seems to disappear as the rpm's increase. I can best describe it as a rotational friction noise or something. When I shut the engine down, the sound slows til the engine stops.

Does not seem like its coming from the belts. they were replaced about 35k miles ago. I sprayed belt dressing just be sure with no effect. I used a long screwdriver to my ear but cannot isolate where the sound is coming from.

This is an '03 V70 base, non-turbo.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 AM

Update-

Unfortunately the sound wasn't that loud last night while diagnosing it my driveway. I need to drive it for a while and get it up to operating temps.
However, the sound seemed to disappear when I removed the oil dipstick just enough to relieve the pressure.

Seems like some guys were having some similar problems on their V50's. The V50 owners had to have their pcv flame traps cleaned or replaced.

I should add that I do not have any oil leaks at the time and this is a non-turbo.
Has anyone had any problems with their pcv/flame trap on a non-turbo v70?

Any thoughts?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A short length of hose to your ear may prove useful.
A one-eared stethoscope.
Ed

Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, There have been a few postings on this subject-all of which sound like yours (no pun intended). Since you said you stopped the noise by releaving the pressure, it would appear you've found your problem. Could you cover the dipstick tube, let the pressure build up and hear the noise again? One poster said there's a diaphram in the breather box which can act like a reed. How many miles on this car? Are you the first owner? The instructions for replacing the breather box and related hoses which appear on this board feature commentary regarding thick accumulations of crud in the involved passages which have to be picked clean before you install the new parts. My point is that oil change negligence goes a long way in modern engines. A Volvo service writer told me it's common. Kira ps In case we're are on the wrong track, remember, you can always take the serpentine belt off the tensioner pully and start the engine for a brief period and see if any noise goes away. Belt dressing won't change the sound of a rotating element. K

Old 11-27-2010, 02:14 AM

its an '03 with about 130k on the odometer. I bought it used in '07 with 60k. So I have done roughly 70k in 3 years. I have been changing the oil at 5k intervals.

The owners manual only talks about servicing this system for turbos. Nothing about it on NA models.

I have read most of the posts regarding this issue. It appears to be more of a problem with older models. I just don't see much info on the later models. Also, couldn't find a replacement kit on FCP. IPD is sells one but I need to verify engine serial # before ordering.

thanks

Last edited by robk; 11-27-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PCV/Flametrap sys

Hello, Engine ser.# is on a white tag on the T-belt cover. ...a good idea to record it elsewhere. It's vulnerable where it is. I put mine on a P-touch label on the glovebox door. The kit you need is available: Eeuroparts, Myvolvopartsonline. FCP gets everything; you just have to call (like most outfits). Kira