Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rear Brake Shims -- Squeak Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Shims -- Squeak Solution?

I have a '95 whose rear brakes continue to squeak at a very high volume since installation of new rotors and pads.

The metal shims that I took off when I replaced the rotors (new Brembo) and pads (new Fedoro) looked like this:
| ______|
| |
| |
0_______ |

The new ones supplied with the brake pads did not have the large notch:

| |
| |
0_____________ |

Is this the cause of my squeak? I have put on new pads, re-turned the rotors, used high-temp lube, the red sticky spray. I've tried everything I can think of. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JM

Old 11-25-2006, 10:51 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brake Shims -- Squeak Solution?

Hello JM,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

I wonder if you've read the past posts. I've posted my experience with my brakes somewhere on the 850 forum that might've been helpful to you. Anyway, I'll repeat it for you.

My shims were shaped differently from the originals too (I am referring to the rears at this point). The originals covered the entire surface of the back of the rear pads, but the new ones didn't. Like you, I used all OEM's (Brembo rotors & Roulands-Dan Block pads). I also put brake-quiet compound everywhere except the friction surfaces. The noise was gone, only for a few days.

In the end, I decided to use cv-joint grease. The logic behind it is that cv-joint grease is usually of molybdenum (moly)-based, and moly-based grease is designed for extremely high-pressure applications. So, I thought I'd give it a try and it worked very well. It's been about 4 months since I did the job, and the brakes have been keeping their mouths shut.

As for the fronts, I have only used the generic brake-quiet compound and they are quiet as well. For front pads, I used Textar (German OEM) and Textar pads came with already-installed shim (that's what they looked like).

Some experts also suggest using silicone-based grease, so give a try on both and see which one works better for you. Again, coat all metal-to-metal contact areas with moly/silicone compound, EXCEPT the friction surfaces.

I wish you the best of luck.

JPN

Old 11-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brake Shims -- Squeak Solution?

If you installed shims that are the entire width of the pad that may be causing the squeel.

If you installed ones that only cover half of the pad then I doubt it.