Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Starting/Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting/Stalling Issue

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my 1999 Volvo V70. When I start it, it stalls rights away. You can here a "clank" coming from under the intake manifold. I may be mistaken but I believe the car is equipped with an electronic throttle? Could a module be bad? I checked all fuses, and ran obd scan on it. Nothing seems to be wrong. If anyone has anything I would be able to try please let me know. Thanks Jeremy

Old 06-19-2011, 09:02 AM

Hi Jeremy, I have a 1999 Volvo V70 that I am having a similar issue with. The car will start and then stall. I do not have a "clank" noise and that doesn't sound good at all. I worry about these cars jumping timing since they are the type motor where the valves actually extend far enough into the cylinder for the piston to hit if it's off or the timing belt breaks. I don't know what the problem is with your car, but I'll tell you what I have done so far to no avail. I changed both O2 sensors and the MAF sensor.....still won't start, removed the throttle body and cleaned it really good (this is an easy job on our cars, but the car still won't stay cranked), I removed the fuel pump relay checked it out and found it to be okay. Today I am planning to see if I can find somebody that has a fuel pressure gauge so I can test the fuel pressure. I am starting to have a sneaking suspicion that I may have a bad fuel pump.

Please let me know if you come up with anything new that helps with your car. I'm about at the end of Ideas.

Benny

Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, I've never had this problem but your descriptions match those of a bad antenna ring for the disabler-an anti theft device. It is said to be an easy fix and the part is inexpensive. To the best of my recollection: You remove the cover of the top of the steering column immediately behind the steering wheel and you're looking at it. Do a search here and on Brickboard-which is where I think I saw it mentioned more than once. BOTH OF YOU GUYS How many miles on your V70s? I don't think fuel pumps go that often on these cars. Kira

Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have not heard of the problem that Kira mentioned but I wouldn't dismiss it. The most common no start problems are: 1. Fuel pump relay, 2. Fuel pump, 3. Cam sensor. Do check fuel pressure.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Jeremy,

I just wanted give you an update. My fuel pump seemed to be fine. The fuel filter appeared quite old, so I replaced it. The car started and ran well after getting the system primed and up to pressure. The test drive went well; neighborhood driving first, followed by a drive through town, followed by a run-up on the interstate and then back home. I told my wife that the car was fixed. She went out and didn't make it out of the neighborhood before it started sputtering and wanting to cut off again. She made it home and now I'm reading a forward O2 sensor failure. I was not aware that an O2 sensor failure could cause such a problem with the car running, but at this point, I feel like I don't know much of anything. Let me know if you have come up with any resolution to your problem.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses, so far I have changed the relays out and it started up ran for a second then stalled out and wont start again. Benny I think I am going to mess. With the fuel pump and check fuel pressure like Rspi said. Also the anti theft would be an interesting thing to look into. Possibly a safety fuel cut off?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 PM

My problem has been resolved with a new fuel pump relay