Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Timing belt killed my 98 v70?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing belt killed my 98 v70?

I took my v70 to the dealer for a check engine light. They found a vacuum leak caused by a broken J-hose underneath the intake manifold. I had the J-hose replaced costing me about $1,000, mostly labor (from the dealer). I drove it for a week after this; I drive it 60 miles a day. It seemed to run fine. Then one morning upon starting it, the car ran with a rough sound. I wasn’t completely sure what it was, and it having run seemingly perfect the day before, I attempted to drive it before the engine stalled and wouldn’t restart. The car was towed to the dealer, where they found that the timing belt had melted to the case and the tension pulley was off. Subsequently, the valves and cylinders were shot.

What I want to know is the maintenance done the week prior, which involved removing the intake manifold, possibly related to the belt breaking, or was it a nasty coincidence? I’m not sure when the belt had last been replaced. The car had 185k on it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Not related at all. The two top problems that kill these and other old cars are:

1) Over heating caused by a failed hose or water pump.

2) Broken timing belt caused by owner neglect, not knowing service history and not heeding the warning/advise of others.

I once purchased a car 1,200 miles from home. On my way home, I stopped and stayed a night with my sister. While there I seen a car that my brother-in-law just purchased. While talking, I told him that the 1st thing I was going to do to the car was have the timing belt replaced. Realizing that his car also had one, I urged him to have his changed, he didn't. In short time it broke and destroyed the motor.

Again, the entire vacuum system, intake and exhaust can be removed and not effect the timing belt or it's components.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Hornet
Subsequently, the valves and cylinders were shot.
Unless the mechanic put a scope into the motor to see the internals, which I've never heard of any of them doing it, there is no way to confirm cylinder damage. They all get valve damage, but few get cylinder damage.

Have the car towed home and sell it for $500. It will likely cost upwards of $2,800 to get it fixed and you can likely replace the car for that.

Another option is to post your location and ask someone to help you fix it. Someone may love the chance to make a few hundred dollars to help you replace the head. If they do, don't go blaming them if you get broad sided a few weeks later.