Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

"Torque tube bearing" there such a thing?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15
Default "Torque tube bearing" there such a thing?

Hi All, I've got a situation with a local shop that isn't passing the smell test. Our 98 V70 AWD is making a constant, higher-pitch grinding noise when rolling. Sounds a lot like when you're metal on metal with the brakes. I took it to an Euro import shop that I've never used before and they diagnosed it as:

"The torque tube bearing is failing. $350 to replace the bearing - if it can be replaced independently - $525 if not and the entire unit needs replacing."

I'm far from a mechanic, I basically know just enough to be dangerous. But I have never heard of a torque tube. Is this for real? Or maybe Volvo has a different name for a relatively common part? Or maybe I'm being flim-flammed? Any clues?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 754

Never heard of it, may be referencing something else, sounds like something in the AWD.

Have them point it out.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:28 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Default A Picture is worth a thousand words

I would have them take a picture and or video of the failing part\s. This way we can help figure out what it is.
Iíve never heard of a torque tube bearing.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 1,507

That sounds believable to me, but the term "torque tube" is of course wrong. I assume they are talking about the bearing in the middle of the driveshaft going to the rear wheels. I could believe that is the problem. I could believe that it's unserviceable, The driveshaft is going to cost more than $575 from volvo if it's unserviceable, but it's not much labor to install. There are some threads here and there in forums by people who replaced parts of them in a way that Volvo didn't intend.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 1,507

For the more academic question, "torque Tube" was a form of rear drive that used a stationary tube concentric around the driveshaft that was rigidly mounted to the solid rear axle. It did not turn. For context, this is how Chevrolets were made in the 1930's. This tube gave you a huge torque arm on the rear axle, so you never had to worry about rear axle control or "wheel hop". It stayed put. There was no rear u-joint as the tube and driveshaft were both dead straight. GM abandoned it in 1955. I figure you've just run into somebody that refers to a supported driveshaft bearing as a "torque tube bearing". I could be wrong.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 PM
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 4,675

yes the term was commonly used with Corvettes (sigh...). I'm curious if they were referring to the propeller shaft center bearing. Note that the drive shaft between the transfer case and the rear differential is held up to the floor pan by a center bearing which can cause noises.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:04 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,031

We'll probably never know since this thread is 8 years old...
Old 01-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 4,675

good thing too, I haven't worked on a Corvette in about 35 years :-)
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
2001-2013 model year V70
10-28-2013 10:55 AM
Volvo V70
01-11-2013 06:00 PM
Volvo S60 & V60
04-09-2010 10:21 PM
General Volvo Chat
06-12-2009 10:27 AM
General Volvo Chat
09-06-2007 06:52 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Torque tube bearing" there such a thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.