Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Transmission flush and caliper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission flush and caliper replacement

So the wifes car needs a transmission flush. Anyone have any ideas if this can be done anywhere or do I need to go to Volvo to do it? I am unfamiliar with the requirements for this car. Volvo wants $150 to do it but I am sure I can get it for under $100.

Also, how tough is it to replace a front brake caliper? Looking at it, it doesn't seem to difficult but want to make sure before I go ripping into things. Do I just need a second person to bleed the brakes? And are there any websites out there that describe how in detail how to do this?
Thanks

Old 04-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Transmission flush and caliper replacement

You can have the trans flushed anywear.Just make sure they use the proper fluid.

The caliper is not that hard at all.You will need a 7MM allen wrench.Perferably on in the socket it will make it easier.The remove the line and install the new caliper.

When you bleed the brakes have someone pump it up about 10 times and hold it to the floor then open the bleeder.Then do it a couple of more times until the pedal comes up to its normal level.

Hint:Once you get it done if when driving the pedal is low then you left off and push again and it is higher there is air in the system.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:19 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tech, I use a Mityvac vacuum bleeder. I found that pressing on the brake pedal takes the piston in the master cylinder past where it would normaly stop at. The rubber seal then is abraded on the rough part of the cylinder and bingo..............you soon need a master cylinder. There are also pressure bleeders on the markets that are quite popular. The best part is that you do not need a second person. I'll bet when you worked at Volvo you used either vacuum or pressure....................

Old 04-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Yes I used the pressure one all the time.But I have never had that problem bleeding them manually.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. What type of fluid should I be using?
Also, I read some forums which had some ideas to do your own transmission flush after I posted the original message yesterday.
They had a method of doing it by pulling the coolant line from the radiator then starting the car and shifting through the gears for just a few seconds then shut the car off, top off the fluid lost and repeat a few times until the entire system is flushed clean. Obviously this isn't as great as a true flush but will it work?
I have included a section below..
"Run engine until bubbles show up (clear hose is nice--and 850, S70, V70's are kind to the mechanic because the drain is on the driver's side, allowing one to watch the progress out the driver's window), shud down, add a couple quarts of tranny fluid, then keep repeating until you are satisfied it is clean--I think I pumped 9 quarts through my wife's 96 turbo wagon with 85K and wished I had had about three more quarts to get it crystal clear. Top it off and put the hose back on. I used Castrol synthetic blend mostly because I could not find pure synthetic locally. And I think I would rather go with more frequent changes at a lower cost rather than extended service with synthetic."
Will this work ok for the V70?
Thanks again for the great insight!

Old 04-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Yes that will work that is how the dealerships do it that don't have the machine to do it.It will take about 12 to 14 quarts to do it properly.

Call the dealer near you and tell them which engine you have and the trans you have and they can tell you better than I can.

Depending on the year there is a couple of diffrent transmissions.
There is a 4 speed auto.
There is a 5 speed auto.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

How important is it to change the Transmission fluid? Unless it is part of Dealer routine service, I may have never changed mine and I have 203,000 miles. Do you think I should change it or just let it go?

Old 04-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Volvo says it never needs to be changed.They are full of crap as far as I am concerned.I would say about every 100,000 miles to be safe.

You could do it earlier if you wanted to.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mines never been changed then. Now I'm afraid I will cause a problem if I change it. I have heard of that happening. But I agree that it seems strange to never change the fluid. I changed it every 30 to 40K in my Suburban because it was known to have problems and I used it for towing. Sold it at 160K and never had trouble with it.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

It is all up to you if you want to replace it.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to talk to the people who service it. They are very good about not wasting money. I think dealers try to take money for things that do not need to be done or just overcharge for things like "checking" this and that. Every time I move to a new city though I go to the dealer until I find an independent mechanic that is recommended. If anybody needs a good one in Wash DC area, Colorado Springs or Columbus, OH let me know.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Let me know how you make out.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:49 PM
JT

HELLO, I HAVE DONE MANY,MANY TRANS FLUSHES AND YOU CAN HAVE TRANY FAILURE AFTER A FLUSH IS DONE... HOWEVER IF YOUR FLUID IS NOT REAL DARK OR BLACK YOU SHOULD BE OK. HERE IS SOME GENERAL INFO: IF YOU HAVE A FLUSH DONE THEN TRANS FAILS, IT WOULD HAVE FAILED AT SOME POINT ANYWWAY. PERSONALLY I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST GOING TO A DEALER AND SPEND THE EXTRA $$. ALSO BY GOING TO A DEALER, IF YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF THEM CONTRIBUTING TO THE REPAIR THAN A QUICK SERVICE TYPE OF PLACE.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:24 PM
reg

I absolutely agree with you JT!!! The small cost of a trans flush via the dealer is minimal when one considers the cost is spread out over a couple of years..............yes............I change the fluid every two years, the antifreeze every two years, and the brake fluid (ATE Super Blue) every year. If you have ever seen the lads that work in the fast oil change facilities...............well...........do you really want someone of that ilk tampering with your transmission? Lastly, with the dealer changing the fluids as JT mentioned, you have some recourse in the event of a failure. Incidently, I have never had a failure and at my advanced age..............I can tell you that I have had many many automobiles.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 PM

I have a 1998 S70 GLT automatic that I recently purchased used. I'm getting ready to have the transmission fluid flushed by my trusted, independent mechanic (how hard was HE to find!) and I'm going to purchase the syntehtic fluid myself. In the book, the capacity of the trans-axle is listed at 2 US gallons or 7.6 liters. As I'm going to have it flushed and not just drained, that number seems a little low. Does anybody know the amount of fluid needed to flush the trans-axle and then fill it up to capacity? Thanks!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Administrator

When I did it at the dealer with the hose filling it and draining it by pumping it through the system.
We used between 12 and 15 Quarts.