Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues

2000 V70 XC AWD
Good day. Looking for advice.

This is a used car with about 187,000 miles. I have had it for several months with no real issues.

A few weeks ago, I had a problem accelerating from a stop sign. I was able to limp home (It was in the neighborhood) but got flashing arrow on the dash. After some internet looking, I tried the shifter trick, and the flashing arrow went away. Then all seemed fine. Last week it failed again, but was able to limp home. Same place. No arrow. after soem more researching, I decided to check the fluid. Cant say what the level was, but the dipstick looked like dirty motor oil. I dont know the history of the fluid being changed, flushed or whatever.

So I decided to change the fluid. DextronIII is what the manual says so thats what I did.

I had a few issues with the level, but thought I had it right. It would work for a bit. Then stop working. When it is not working, there is no response from the gears at all. Any of them.

Today I had the car towed to a local Mechanic. They just called me with a diagnosis. They say the transmission has internally failed and needs to be replaced.

When I asked what codes they got, they say said they did not get any codes, they just tried to drive it, got 100 ft and it stopped moving so they determined it needs a new transmission.

So, what do I really need to look for?

I am not experienced with this. But something tells me this is fluid related. Perhaps a complete flush?

Old 10-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kaz,
couple of questions for you in order to try and help get you a diagnoses.

For the AWD there are effectively 3 parts that can screw up for you and each have their own symptoms.

1. The gearbox
2. the transmission on the back of the gear box
3. the rear differential

In the gearbox you have a number of solenoids that handle routing fluids in the box (which changes the gears - or not). So do you have any hard shifting issues (does the gear box give a knocking noise when you go from second to first at low speed) - this would indicate that at least one of the solenoids was on the way out. If you get yourself a general ODBII reader (or ask the dealership) do you have any codes?
When it fails - can you still rev the engine AND when you move from drive to park do you get a clanking noise but no movement? If this happens you could have a badly worn inner CV joint and the point where the spline enters the gearbox could be knackered.

For the transmission on the back of the gear box there are two main parts that can fail here - the spline that receives the drive shaft (http://s1.mojalbum.com/5914801_17678...r/21202552.jpg - part 19 on the diagram) or the bevel gear behind it. This part can be seen here:

https://www.upload.ee/image/3847365/...4_11_25.48.jpg

This is not a job for the faint hearted - I had mine done a few months back. Mine was making strange noises as I drove. It would appear that if this fails you lose a bit of power and you have 2 wheel drive only.

The rear diff can make some interesting noises, leak oil, physically break internally but nothing that that's going to stop you driving (unless you have a spectacular failure).

I have to say that based on my own experience - engine running, no drive, no error codes would suggest a damaged or unseated inner constant velocity joint (it happened to me a couple of years back when the garage hadn't reseat a drive shaft correct - the thing popped out on the motorway leaving me with a running car but no drive and no error messages).

Is there anything else you can tell us that would help us steer you in the right direction?

Paul.