Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission replacement

Ok, I'm somewhat new to this site. There are lots and lots of good info here. I wasn't able to find the info I need, though. Here is my issue:

I have a 2001 V70 2.4T and got it less than 2 years ago. I am the 3rd owner, according to carfax. It has 136k miles on it. I have had lots of different issues with this car, mostly electrical it seems. My recent issue is my transmission went out. So what I did was I found a transmission in a salvage yard for $600 with 107K miles on it. I went for it! But now, after installing it my car does not shift right. I am worried it did not come from a 2.4T, but I know it did come from a 2001 V70. Does this make a difference as far as it would absolutely under no circumstances work I'm my car or would I have to change something else in order to make it work? I have decided that unless I buy a brand new Volvo with factory warranty on it, I am not buying another. This car has given me enough trouble but I need to fix it to be able to trade it in and get me a newer car. I am not going to keep it, but do need it to work right - or close to right - to be able to trade it in. Please help!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 PM

Not entirly sure, but the trans in the turbo models may have different trans computor valve settings
Giving different shift points.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 PM

Ok. So looks like the smart guy sold me a transmission for a 2001 Volvo V70 but it is not for a 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T. I'm beginning to think it was a 2.3 or maybe a 2.4 without the Turbo. Does this make a difference and if so, can it be fixable or is this transmission absolutely NEVER will work for my car? I've called the guy up and he says he'll offer me a credit to be used at his salvage yard good for a year. What am I gonna buy from this guy who lives off of cars but does not know what he's selling???

Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Who installed the salvaged trans? Did you?
If so, you'll have to get your guy to find you the correct trans.

If you have the money and the time, find a local reputabe transmission shop and have them diagnose the issue. They most probably can tell you if you have the correct trans and or if they can get it working for you. Most estimates are free. You will most probably have to spend more money, but think of this way, a new trans removed and repaired usually averages $3K, and you into it for $600 plus.

If you find the right car, doing repairs sometimes work out in your favor vs buying new. You take you chances with any purchase. The key is to do your research. I know this is kind of late, but there is plenty of info on the web about staying away from '99-'02 Volvo's due to premature failure of the transmissions, plus other issues.

Good Luck on fixing your '01, let us know how you make out.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I just had a junk tranny put in my wagon. There is an id plate on the tranny and 3 sets of numbers. When I was looking at tranny's, the main number matched 3 or 4 different tranny's. I got the one from the yard that was an exact match. The first one I had was almost an exact match but I think it was from a non-turbo a year model earlier. The year later had a different speed sensor in it and would have thrown a tranny code but work properly.

Look long and hard, you should be able to find a good tranny for $250, I only paid $100 and have seen a few for $100 out there. Putting it in is the bad thing.

As for the tranny you purchased... I don't think I would take a credit. Try to find out their policy, if it's your responsibility to pick the RIGHT part then I'd try to sell it back to him for maybe $400. But if he told you that it would work, I would demand all of my money back, likely claiming that something is wrong with the thing.

Look at the tag on it and then check the one you took out. If the numbers are exactly the same, something else is likely the problem.