Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Used Car Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Car Quirks

I just bought a 2000 V70 about 3 weeks ago and love it. However, slowly but surely, all the usualused car quirks are surfacing and it's time to address them. I have noticed a few things that I would like to fix, but need a little help in getting started. First things first, does anyone know where I can get a shop service manual (PDF, CD, Hard copy)? I have used the Chiltons/Haynes for other cars I've owned, and they get the job done. But being an engineer, I have the unquenchable thirst for knowledge of how things work. As an amateur mechanic, I enjoy doing the work myself (and I do it carefully and correctlysince it's my car!) so having a service manual would be ideal. Next, a short rundown of the quirks I've noticed thus far:

1) Switch for adjustment of the driver'sseat doesn't work in the forward direction. You can move the seat in all directions but forward. And it actually can be moved forward by using the "driver pre-sets", so I know the motor is good. Just an issue with the adjustment switch or it's connections.

2) Rear driver's side window switch doesn't work. Again, the window can be rolled down from the drivers seat switch, so I know the motor is good, but the actual switch in the rear seat won't control the window. Either the switch or some connection between the switch and motor.

3) Button for the shifter gets stuck. I don't know if it's the button on the shifter or theline itself, but one of the two gets a little stuck sometimes and poses a problem when trying to get the key out of the ignition. (Car is in park, but the key won't come out because the transmission isn't fully engaged in park since the button for the shifter won't "pop" back intoposition. Not a big problem once I figured it out (wiggle the button into place and out comes the key), but when my girlfriend drove it and left the key inthe ignition and the car ina parking lot, I decided it was time to fix it.)

4) Car won't always start on the first try after it sits for a while. I've figured out that if I turn the key to position 2, which turns on the fuel pump, then turn it back to 1, then back to 2, then try starting, it works every time. I'm guessing there's a check valve somewhere in the fuel line and the valve has gone bad, thus allowing the line to de-pressurize as it sits for long periods of time. Turning to 2 re-pressurizes, then back to 1, then 2 with a pressurized fuel line allows me to start.

I apologize for how long winded this post is, but hopefully all of my assumptions are correct and if not, the necessary information is there to trouble shoot the problem. Most of these wouldn't be problems if I had a shop manual, but until then I'll be relying on you guys for guidance. So I thank you in advance for all/any advice and appreciate your patience. Thanks.

-Jon Wayne

Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Used Car Quirks

Hi AgSurfer,

This veryinteresting.I have similar issues on my '99 V70.
My driver's seat switch doesn't work in the forward direction but the presets do. (It doesn't bother me too much, since I usually am adjusting back and my wife has to deal with getting it forward.)
My rear passenger side window switch doesn't work.

I have just lived with these so far. I looked at replacing the switch panels, but they were fairly expensive for a minor inconvenience. I tried calling a dozen or so junkyards, but nobody had the right car.

I'll be tracking this to see if you find solutions to these.

By the way, what type of engineer are you? I'm an ME with an Aerospace Concentration (from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, MA). I have a similar interest in figuring out how things work in my car and how to fix them myself (saving $$ along the way).
~CG

Old 07-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those issues as well.

You'll soon see that reliability also applies to quirks. We all get the same issues with the same headaches at around the same mileage.

Big one is the timing belt. I don't know how unreliable they are and I do not want to find out! Be sure and change it at the intervals suggested.

As far as service/shop manuals go: Below are official links. As you can see they are not cheap. I've gotten by with a subscription to alldata.com ($30 year)it's packed with info.Let me know if youare thinking of getting the official shop manual.

https://volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?...m.serviceparts

https://volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?...E68A27E3EAA77D

Master Set, Models 800,S70,V70,C70
Item: SP0309
$3943.70

Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wiring diagram for a V70 is $75 which is about $25 less than the shop is going to charge you per hour to hunt down a electrical problem. Electrical repairs are almost never flat rate .