Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Bringing XC in for the 1st time ... any "quirks" I ought to know about?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing XC in for the 1st time ... any "quirks" I ought to know about?

HI All. I bought a 2001 XC wagon the end of last summer. So far it runs pretty good.

The check engine light is on and I will be bringing on Friday. I had a great volvo mechanic for volvos I have had in the past ... unfortunately his shop burnt down last summer and I will be taking the car to a dealer and I worry somehwhat.

Also, this past weekend I was driving down a notch in NH and it sounds as though my breaks are rubbing. Coming from the rear of the car.

Are their any quirks associated with the 2001 xc that would cause the check engine light to come on?

Thanks

J

Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before you take it in, i would suggest having the codes pulled by your local Autozone, so you have an idea of what's going on. At least that will give you some confidence in the dealer when they discuss the issues. causes for the light cannot be speculated.

also, always get the codes documented on the service order so you can easily hold the dealer responsible for any problems they are trying to address. for example, if you have code P0442 (small evap leak), you want it stated on the work order that this is the code they are trying to fix and have warranted for whatever time frame they provide. it is entirely possible to not get a code fixed the first time and have to return, or have another code set the check engine light soon after. You just need to protect yourself and be very clear with the shop of your expectations. Otherwise, you may end up with multiple charges for code pulls and repairs for the same issue.