Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70 brake pulsing?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 brake pulsing?

Hello All:

I have a 98 V70 Non turbo, 5 spd. manual.
I had a really bad pulsing when the brakes were applied,which has been getting progressively worse.

Upon investigation the right front control arm bushings were toast.

So, I've replaced both front control arms and installed new Brembo front rotors.

The car still pulses and shudders when the brakes are applied, however the frequency of the pulse is quicker, more like a really bad vibration than a long woop woop woop woop pulse than the old rotors (which I reinstalled to compare and they are bad, so they are coming back out again).

I made certain the hubs were wire brushed off on the surface prior to installing the rotors.

I've also noticed the car is really sensitive to bumps in the road all of a sudden as well after the control arm change, this is really puzzling as well.

Any idea what could be causing these issues?

Thanks, Terry

Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 PM

I put the Brembos back on and checked the runout, almost nothing.
I took the old pads off and ground flat, cleaned them up.
The front end on this car is tight, with new control arms, new tie rod ends a few months ago.
Wheel bearings are tight.

I'm hesitant to really push these rotors at this time until they run in, but I can still feel that pulse, although not as bad as the old rotors. Also, this crazy sensitivity it has developed over bumps is baffling.

Could the rear rotors be a possible suspect?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:17 PM

I think you're headed in the right direction. What do the rear rotors/pads look like?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 PM

The rear rotors are pretty rusty and it looks as though the pads are only making contact over 3/4 of the face.

I'm not certain, as I have not owned the car since new, but these may be the original rotors on the rear.

I'm going to order a new set of rotors for the rear.

Any thoughts on that sensitivity over the bumps?

It seems as if it has developed bump steer. Every time the car hit bumps in the road, the steering wheel is moving all over and the car changes direction from those bumps. Its really weird.

Terry

Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM

Did you have it aligned after you replaced the front suspension parts?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 PM

after the tie rods (6 months ago) but not yet after the control arms.
I think it needs an alignment because the wheels are definitely toed in now.

Could that be contributing to the bump steer issue?
I mean this thing has turned evil all of a sudden.

New rear rotors arrived today, going to clean them up then tremclad clear over the potentially rusty parts, I'm pretty certain now after driving the car for a few days the rear rotors are the cause of the vibration.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 PM

my 850 had quick pulsing brakes. After replacing the rotors and pads I'm pretty sure it was because the wheel anti lock brake sensors were filthy. There is a sensor that mounts inside the hub, I guess for the anti lock brakes. I think it must have been so dirty it was telling the car the wheels weren't turning and activating the anti lock brakes. The sensors are easy to take out and clean.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM

New rear rotors went on this weekend. From the look of the rotors I removed, it appears as though they may be the original rotors, they were a mess.

Now braking is silky smooth, zero vibration.

I did notice the left rear hat and rotor getting really warm even after a short drive, so I suspect that caliper to be siezing/siezed. Actually of the RR and LR the LR rotor was in much worse shape than RR, so the RR caliper may have been going for some time now.

more $$

Although as I explained to my wife we've had this car going on 5 years now and have spent very little on it to date. It still looks good and runs well, so I'm biting the bullet and getting some major work done, I'm getting a million KM out of this baby I tell ya.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 AM
Cool did you get that bump steer thing fixed and what was it?

got really bad "bump steer" just happened recently when i had a stuck caliper on the front driver side, also tyre a little worn on the inner edge, what could it be, what should i investigate thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 PM

I put new (reman calipers) on this past weekend.
Of course, the brake lines are impossible to remove without damage, so fair to say I replaced those too.

new brakes are NICE!