Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70 tire presssure monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 tire presssure monitor?

Does anyone has any experience with the TPMS? Is it worth it? Does it show pressure in the tires, or just comes on when the pressure is too low?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have no choice on newer models thanks to fed mtr veh safety stds which make these nuisances mandatory now due to the inability of Ford SUV jockeys to monitor their own tire pressure, Ford's stupidity in specifying cheaper than needed Firestone tires, and Firestone's refusal to tell Ford what it needed.

I wouldn't spend 2 cents on the system if I could avoid it on my next car. They do need service or replacement, and tire dealers can't wait to sell you a new set with each new set of tires. And, in Volvo, as I am led to understand, they can only be programmed by your local friendly dealer. Or else the warning light on the dash is always "on". Fun if you changes wheels and tires winter and summer, too.

They only light up when the pressure is low, supposedly. This assumes no false signals. They aren't a gauge, just what my Dad used to call "idiot lights".

Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an after market TPS for my 01 V70 T5a a few years back after I destroyed an almost new tire by driving on it either flat or very low pressure. Hay, nothing felt bad until I parked and could smell the burning rubber! I got mine from America's Tire Company and was made by Schrader. Mine displays the actual pressure in each tire (the display rotates among the tires), and also displays the tire temperature. During the installation process I believe you are given some variable to set the alarm, but it's been too long to remember, but I think the display flashes at 10% low and an alarm sounds when 25% low, but don't quote me on the numbers. The cost was about the price of a high end tire, so if it only saves me once it pays for itself. Malaka is correct, they do wear out (it's battery powered). The transmitter is a part of the valve stem assembly inside the tire, and lasts about 7 to 8 years. The receiver won't need to be replaced, just the transmitter and battery. .

There is concerns about technology marching on, and the new transmitters when replaced won't marry up with the receiver you did so much work to have a clean install. So I'd recommend talking to the manufacture when making a decision. I'm not convinced Schrader will be still marketing their system, but that's what I have and am very satisfied so far. Orange is another big producer. Do a search and you'll find all kinds of these things, from really stupid concepts and looking awkward to pretty sleek that will fit right in. Installation is about a 1 of 10 scale. If you can splice wire and figure out a fuse box you are over qualified. Hiding the wires is simple. Mine is mounted up by the rear view mirror using double back tape on the windshield. Figure I’m looking up there anyway. Generally when I start up while I’m waiting for the idle to lower prior to shifting into gear, I check out the current pressures. When I notice I’m a few pounds low, I top off and keep the gas mileage at peak!

Let us know how it goes, and if you did buy one.

Jerry