Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70 turns over but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 turns over but doesn't start

Hi

Got an S reg V70 2.5 litre turbo diesel.

Drove fine yesterday (around 200 miles towing a caravan through some awful rain), went out this morning, sun shining, thing turns over with lots of energy but doesn't fire!

Don't have a clue where to start with this.

I'm not getting lots of white smoke out the back as it cranks, so I guess maybe water in the fuel system?

Had to leave it at home and get a lift to work, will check it still doesn't start when I get home, then call the AA.

Nige

Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Garage have sorted the problem.

Seems the belt tensioner had failed, so the toothed belt for the fuel pump had jumped and slipped, stripping all the teeth.

Sometimes, it was getting enough grip to turn the pump, hence the intermittent behaviour.

The rumbling I was hearing was the belt slipping.

Nige

Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank You for updating. We do not have the diesels here in the U.S. so there is not alot of help out there on them.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 AM

Ok, I'll describe some more what happened then....

When cranked (and wouldn't start) I was not getting great big clouds of white smoke (ie unburnt diesel) from the exhaust - this points straight to a fuel problem.

Taking a pipe off an injector showed the occasional squirt, nothing more (again confirmation of a fuel problem).

Putting a gallon in the tank made the fuel gauge go up about a gallon, and didn't change the symptoms (so fairly happy its not a faulty fuel gauge, and an empty tank!).

After that, it was a matter of working back through the fuel chain, though the garage in fact cranked it, heard a noise (the belt slipping), worked out what it was, and fixed it.

I'll be putting the car in again to have the cambelt done (very early!) as I want to make sure the belt tensioner on the cambelt isn't also on the way out ...

In general with a diesel, you tend to get lots of white smoke when trying to start (glow problems, typically in colder weather) or no smoke (then its fuel).

The other advice I have is if you drive a diesel, find yourself a garage that knows diesel engines.
I use M J Rolls in Longstowe, just west of Cambridge, UK. They do agricultural vehicles as well as cars and vans, and boy do they know diesel engines.

Nige

Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank You for the further info!