Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

So the other day driving back to NYC I hit a deer. Fender got smashed in and the windshield is toast. I have glass coverage and set up an appointment through Geico with Safelite autoglass for today. I did some research on the kind of glass Safelite uses and got me a little concerned. However, seems like anything on the Internet is negative. I called up the location I am taking my car to and they said it was going to be an aftermarket windshield, wouldn't tell me the brand and just kept saying it was their brand. Anyone have experience with Safelite autoglass? I would prefer OEM glass as I have read that the Safelite glass can have some serious flaws such as clouding, terrible glare from oncoming headlights and optical issues making it seem like a magnifying glass. Just haven't read anything positive about them and hoping someone on here has some experience.

The car is a 1998 V70 with nothing special. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 PM

I had a safelight windshield installed on my 2001 v70 and have been very pleased with it. The installer was fast and careful, and after almost a year i have no comlaints.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM

My own experience with aftermarket glass is that it isn't nearly as soundproof as the Volvo glass.

I had my windshield replaced with PPG which is apparently excellent quality (and it is, from an optical point of view), but I hear the engine and windnoise much more than I did before.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:14 PM

My 2001 V70 has the original glass, and I'm amazed that the "rain-X' effect still works quite well. Will the after market have this property? I'd seriously consider OEM unless the after market folks will warrent their replacement to have this feature. If you choose after market, get ready to retreat the glass frequently!

Jerry

Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Sorry for the lack of reply. Was in the middle of moving cross country.

So Safelite put their brand of glass in and messed up the drivers side trim that goes from the bottom of the windshield all the way over the roof and back to the tailgate. Also, the windshield was constantly cracking and groaning over every imperfection. I noticed this immediately when I left their location and thought it was just settling in. I was hoping this would go away in a couple days but it didn't. Then in Montana we hit a pretty crazy rain storm and the windshield fogged up on the outside from the rain...I have never experienced...it was like freezing fog but it was 90+ degrees out.

Before we left NYC I made an appointment with Safelite in Seattle to have them come out and make it right. They ordered the new trim piece and put in a different brand of glass...I am still pretty sure it isn't OEM but it isn't making any of the noise the previous windshield was so that's good.

On our way down to Portland, OR tomorrow so I will see if it has any increased noise.

Thanks for all your replies!