Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Years to avoid??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Years to avoid??

I currently have a 1998 S70 T5. Daily driver and it is great. In fact, car is so good that my wife is looking into getting a V70 or Cross Country model. I thought I remembered something about a few years that there were some major problems with some of these cars. Can someone please refresh my memory. And, my wife is looking at older models, and not really concerned about miles. This is like a gap car for as we continue to pay my law school debt off. When that finally happens, she will splurge a little. Now she just wants something, safe, reliable, and that still looks a little nice with some performance. She is not the mini van or Ford Taurus driving kind of mom. Appreciate your responses and help.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Years to avoid??

Your wife sounds a lot like my children. They would not own a mini-van or a Ford Taurus. One does not even like the Volvo 850 Wagon because it's a wagon. The years to stay away from are 99-01, especially the S80, but my one daughter has a 99 S80 T6 and it's an awesome car, but she had a ton of trouble with it when she first got it. To be honest the dealer took very good care of her and it didn't really cost her much money. Lately she has had very little trouble with it. Personally I stick with 98 or older and will only buy a turbo model. The 98 V70 GLT we have is a low pressure turbo, but it's a very good and reliable vehicle. Make sure you pull a carfax report on any car you are looking at.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have and 98 v70 and I have had lots of trouble with the electrical. the check engine and service lights are always on, i replaced the lights in dash and center console and many lights just don't work. dealer says that it is just a bad electrical year, i would stay away

Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 98 v70 GLT as well. It has 215k miles on it and it runs great. Admittedly, there are a few lights on and they are: Check engine, Shift arrow blinking, TRACS off and the Service light. Service light is on for a minute or so at start-up and is not an issue at all. The other lights are common and related. It's my understanding that they can be fixed by sending the ABS module out for repair, about $100 from an online service.

I've had to do some front end work-harsh Michigan roads, and other minor repairs.I've found that there are not a lot of issues,but the issues I have encounteredhave been encountered by many owners. You can find the posts/questions on this forum.

If you do the scheduled maintenance like the manual says, a little upkeep and some common sense the car will last forever.

The best way to evaluate a used car is byjudging the owner.Meet the seller at their house and seehow they live....Is the garage/house/yard clean and organized? Are there tools around and what kind of shape are they in?Is thereoil in the driveway? How is he dressed? You'll know how the car was treated before you even see it. Don't be fooled, anybody can take a car to a detail shop and have it looking immaculate and leak free.