Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

18 XC60 windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 XC60 windshield replacement

Guys,

A rock cracked the windshield of my 2018 XC60 windshield. It's directly above my steering wheel(how lucky). So I repaired it, but it still leaves a visible mark on the windshield. I was hoping I can just deal with it. but it drives me crazy when I'm driving during the day. My eyes constantly trying to focus on that mark. Doesn't bother me much at night. I only wish the crack is not in my line of vision. So I'm thinking about replacing the windshield. My comprehensive deductible is $1500. So I'll be paying out of pocket

My XC60 has HUD, lane departure sensor, but not heated windshield. But I heard from a couple of local windshield installer that my XC60 might require lane departure recalibration if I replace the windshield. It can only be done by dealer, another $350. So I'm not sure what to do at the moment. I took pics of the Sekurit glass on my XC60 which has a Volvo logo. The other pic is from the glass guy, it doesn't have Volvo logo. He told me it's the right glass.

Any suggestions?

KB

Directly above my steering wheel.

bullseye + star

After repair, still a mark in my line of vision.

Glass on my XC60

Glass guy's glass.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, the camera and radar should be calibrated after replacement. Should be an hour labor, not $350.

I've seen a few customers with cheap aftermarket windshields cause problems. Go with a Volvo one if you want to eliminate the chance of that.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kublaiboy
Guys,

A rock cracked the windshield of my 2018 XC60 windshield. It's directly above my steering wheel(how lucky). So I repaired it, but it still leaves a visible mark on the windshield. I was hoping I can just deal with it. but it drives me crazy when I'm driving during the day. My eyes constantly trying to focus on that mark. Doesn't bother me much at night. I only wish the crack is not in my line of vision. So I'm thinking about replacing the windshield. My comprehensive deductible is $1500. So I'll be paying out of pocket

My XC60 has HUD, lane departure sensor, but not heated windshield. But I heard from a couple of local windshield installer that my XC60 might require lane departure recalibration if I replace the windshield. It can only be done by dealer, another $350. So I'm not sure what to do at the moment. I took pics of the Sekurit glass on my XC60 which has a Volvo logo. The other pic is from the glass guy, it doesn't have Volvo logo. He told me it's the right glass.

Any suggestions?

KB

Directly above my steering wheel.

bullseye + star

After repair, still a mark in my line of vision.

Glass on my XC60

Glass guy's glass.
Both windshields are made by Saint-Gobain Sekurit, one of the world’s leading windshield manufacturers with factories in several countries. The Volvo branded windshield was made in their Czech Republic factory and the aftermarket one is made in their China factory. The E means it can be distributed in Europe and the number is the port of entry. The CCC means it can be distributed in China. The AS1 means it passes the US safety standard for windshields. The 43R means it meets the European safety standard. The // means it is a standard multilayered windshield. The DOT number is the particular factory registration. SRS is the airbag logo, not shown in your pic of the second windshield but likely located on another portion of it. The aftermarket one also has the acoustic windshield symbol, meaning it should be quieter than a non-acoustic windshield.

Last edited by blindkarma; 12-25-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by blindkarma
Both windshields are made by Saint-Gobain Sekurit, one of the world’s leading windshield manufacturers with factories in several countries. The Volvo branded windshield was made in their Czech Republic factory and the aftermarket one is made in their China factory. The E means it can be distributed in Europe and the number is the port of entry. The CCC means it can be distributed in China. The AS1 means it passes the US safety standard for windshields. The 43R means it meets the European safety standard. The // means it is a standard multilayered windshield. The DOT number is the particular factory registration. SRS is the airbag logo, not shown in your pic of the second windshield but likely located on another portion of it. The aftermarket one also has the acoustic windshield symbol, meaning it should be quieter than a non-acoustic windshield.

Thank you for the detailed explanations. I've learned something. Looks like it will cost $1000 to replace the windshield(parts+labor).

Old 01-04-2020, 09:55 PM
Default No calibration needed

I’ve had the windshield replaced 3 times on my ‘18 XC90 (yes 3). Had it done at speedy. They were careful and did it on flat surface, never had to calibrate after. All sensors work fine.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sime529
I’ve had the windshield replaced 3 times on my ‘18 XC90 (yes 3). Had it done at speedy. They were careful and did it on flat surface, never had to calibrate after. All sensors work fine.
What's Speedy? speedyglass.com ?

Old 01-04-2020, 11:21 PM

Yes speedy auto glass. Franchise repair for auto windshields.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The ASDM should be calibrated when the windshield is replaced. That is the proper procedure.