Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2010 Intermittent Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Intermittent Battery Drain

The third time the battery has died from an intermittent drain. I found that sometimes when the engine is turned off there is a buzzing sound from the engine. Pulling fuses, I found it was Fuse 37 - Injection System. Last time I left the whale for five days I pulled that fuse and the battery still died. Pulled the red cable off the battery and connecting an ampere meter it draws about 1.5 amperes, then goes down but never gets below 300 milli-amperes. Fuse 38 - Engine Valves also causes some drain with the engine off. Could not find a fuse that completely eliminates the drain.
It is not the XM radio as it has none.
What is idiotic about this electrical system is when the door is opened, Fuse 37 and 38 are drawing current even though the engine is not on and the key not in the dash.
Also, when the door is opened, there are two ratcheting sounds from the engine bay. Something like a cheap plastic gear set turning one way then turning back or like the sound when the key is put in the dash but twice. Any ideas what that is? It does not happen if the door is closed and opened again, only when it has sat for a while. Probably after the dash has turned off. Another idiotic feature, the dash turns on when the door is opened but nothing works until the engine is started.
Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I have to put in a battery cutoff switch (which means all the monitors get reset every time).