Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2015 XC60 Brake System Failure + errors + Liftgate malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2015 XC60 Brake System Failure + errors + Liftgate malfunctioning

Hey! I have a 2015 XC60 T6 with a little under 70k miles on it. Every now and then I will get the following errors while driving. Sometimes they well happen multiple times, sometimes not at all:

Brake System Failure - Stop Safely (this one happens the most often and when it does every warning light on the dash lights up (ABS, Check Engine, Tire Pressure, Seatbelt reminder, Gas, SRS, Brake, ESC, General warning, etc) and the mileage, mph, miles to empty, gph, and temperature also read '---' instead of the actual numbers and the radio, blinkers, and windshield wipers stop working for a period of time
SRS Airbag Service Urgent
Alarm has been triggered
Volvo On Call Deactivated

I just took it in for service and they couldn't get the computer to recognize or read any of these errors. Lately the liftgate has also stopped working intermittently and requires manual opening and shutting (ie. the button doesn't auto close it) as well as making a repeating electronic skipping sound which sounds like it trying to close. Last night this happened for a few hours before stopping. Taking the fuses out did not stop the noise.

Any advice or where to look is appreciated.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:39 PM

Did you ever figure this out? My 2015.5 V60 T5 is doing the same thing. My mechanic said brake pedal position sensor needs replacing, but he usually doesn't do import work and I've had issues with them not knowing much about this vehicle in the past.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:38 PM

Unfortunately I still haven't figured it out. It was suggested to me to unhook my battery for a half hour/hour and plug back in but it didn't help. Have you checked the battery connections to make sure they are clean?

Old 02-10-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Amanda Martin
Unfortunately I still haven't figured it out. It was suggested to me to unhook my battery for a half hour/hour and plug back in but it didn't help. Have you checked the battery connections to make sure they are clean?
I tried that too. If anything it just caused more lights and error codes. It's a new battery and everything is clean. The shop ran it down to empty trying to run their diagnostics, but it'll be charged when I reinstall it.

Currently I've got the front of the car torn apart waiting for the part to get here. I really don't think it'll fix it. This same shop tried to tell me the coolant pump was mechanical and on the wrong side of the engine, so my confidence is low.

What OBD2 codes was it giving you?

Old 02-11-2020, 06:09 PM

I actually never ran them myself, but when I initially took my car in they werent getting ANY error codes...

Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 PM

Replying to bump up and see if anyone has experienced anything similar lately... this stopped for a long while and everything was working fine. No errors, no electrical issues, no liftgate issues.

I noticed by doing this that it was working because the weather was dry with no rain (we were in California). We took a road trip out east and are now in Michigan where the weather is rainy and cool and the errors started happening all over again. The liftgate locks and will not open... you can hear it trying to catch the lock and malfunction over and over. When the errors occur the windows won't open, the infotainment system shuts down and all of the dash lights shut off. The headlights and interior lights are not affected.

I will note that we also tried replacing and/ or removing multiple fuses to see if they would have any affect on things and it didn't.

When it rains sometimes water will drip through the seals of the window on the driver side and get into the window controls and the wiring in the door panel.... could this have anything to do with the errors? I dont know how connected that one area would be to the rest of the car but since it only seems to happen in wet weather I am grasping at straws.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 01-17-2021, 08:01 AM

Replying to bump up and see if anyone has experienced anything similar lately... this stopped for a long while and everything was working fine. No errors, no electrical issues, no liftgate issues.

I noticed by doing this that it was working because the weather was dry with no rain (we were in California). We took a road trip out east and are now in Michigan where the weather is rainy and cool and the errors started happening all over again. The liftgate locks and will not open... you can hear it trying to catch the lock and malfunction over and over. When the errors occur the windows won't open, the infotainment system shuts down and all of the dash lights shut off. The headlights and interior lights are not affected.

I will note that we also tried replacing and/ or removing multiple fuses to see if they would have any affect on things and it didn't.

When it rains sometimes water will drip through the seals of the window on the driver side and get into the window controls and the wiring in the door panel.... could this have anything to do with the errors? I dont know how connected that one area would be to the rest of the car but since it only seems to happen in wet weather I am grasping at straws.
See my thread on the uk Forum. All of a sudden started to get every single error imaginable! DTSC, SBS, Parking assist, Brake , engine coolant etc. etc. etc.!

Not found a cause adn seems no one else has had simialr issues.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry. I missed this part. Yes. Reading your post again, it sounds exactly like a short caused by moisture. i.e. dry conditions, no problem. Moist conditions, problem occurs. In this gen, there is a control box with several modules in the passenger foot-well on the firewall. (one that has to be moved to install the cabin air filter. That's how I learned about it) and I THINK a fuse box as well mounted on the interior, outside wall. (google "2015 xc60 electrical modules on the passenger side")

If that is getting any moisture, it will cause problems.

The leak is most likely from the drain tube of the sunroof being clogged. It drains down that side.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:15 AM

did you ever figure out this problem with all the lights on the dash and non start issue? I have a 2015 xc60 and it has the same issue.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:50 PM
Default 2015 XC60 Control Panel Error Messages Gone haywire

Amanda,
I have the exact same model and year and it's doing the exact same thing. The dealership says it all tests fine and they can't do anything unless the car is in the error cycle in front of them. I've provided them video, but they want me to bring it in while it's happening. That's difficult because it is so intermittent. )-:
I'm just wondering if you have any final follow-up? Were you able to confirm that it was a water issue? Mine seems to happen in both wet and dry conditions.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TPickett
Amanda,
I have the exact same model and year and it's doing the exact same thing. The dealership says it all tests fine and they can't do anything unless the car is in the error cycle in front of them. I've provided them video, but they want me to bring it in while it's happening. That's difficult because it is so intermittent. )-:
I'm just wondering if you have any final follow-up? Were you able to confirm that it was a water issue? Mine seems to happen in both wet and dry conditions.
Having similar issue. 2015.5 XC60 with 120k. It all just started happening about a month ago. We've brought it to the dealership when it's happening, but as soon as you put it in park and open the door the car shuts off. So, they haven't been able to gather much information with it. After diagnostics for 5 hours and starting a support case with Volvo, the dealership tells me that they suspect it is something with the power tailgate module, so they've disconnected it for me to drive for a while to see if it continues. Did anyone ever get an answer on this?

Old 02-22-2022, 12:20 PM

Hi mnvolvo-
No, I never got any answers. My 2015 XC60 R-Design only had 50K miles on it. The dealership where we bought it (Walnut Creek, CA) and always had it serviced, had no idea. They said it could range from $4K to $10K to pull the car apart and try to figure it out, and even then, no guarantees that it would be fixed. This past weekend we opted to sell the car )-:
We did "open a case" with Volvo Corporate customer service. That was a joke, and no help whatsoever. We won't be buying Volvo again.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:19 AM

Hi, someone fixed this problem with brake system failure + errors? Thank you 🙏

Hey! I have a 2015 XC60 T6 with a little under 70k miles on it. Every now and then I will get the following errors while driving. Sometimes they well happen multiple times, sometimes not at all:

Brake System Failure - Stop Safely (this one happens the most often and when it does every warning light on the dash lights up (ABS, Check Engine, Tire Pressure, Seatbelt reminder, Gas, SRS, Brake, ESC, General warning, etc) and the mileage, mph, miles to empty, gph, and temperature also read '---' instead of the actual numbers and the radio, blinkers, and windshield wipers stop working for a period of time
SRS Airbag Service Urgent
Alarm has been triggered
Volvo On Call Deactivated

I just took it in for service and they couldn't get the computer to recognize or read any of these errors. Lately the liftgate has also stopped working intermittently and requires manual opening and shutting (ie. the button doesn't auto close it) as well as making a repeating electronic skipping sound which sounds like it trying to close. Last night this happened for a few hours before stopping. Taking the fuses out did not stop the noise.

Any advice or where to look is appreciated.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Luking
Hi, someone fixed this problem with brake system failure + errors? Thank you 🙏
Hi, I have a 2015 T5 AWD, and my brake system is doing some of the same things. It usually happens in snow/ice I suspect the salt spray is a contributor. Would love to hear if anyone has had any luck diagnosing!

Old 01-07-2023, 08:28 AM

Hello, has anyone managed to solve this problem, I have the same. Volvo Xc60 2015 T6, errors pop up cyclically, it starts with a failure of the braking system, etc. The displays go out, the trunk lid works once, sometimes not.
Anyone able to help?

Old 01-07-2023, 08:53 AM

I'm getting some diagnosis done next week will let you know what I find.

For now the codes that I've got are the C003A to C0037 range, for speed sensor failure to tone wheel failure, my mechanic says there is some rusting that might be the culprit. Other possibly related codes (all which cleared on their own) Closing velocity module : U 0415-68 invalid data from brake control module, U3000-66 Control module algo based failures, signal has too many transitions/events.

Differential Electronic Module : U0415-68 Invalida data from ABSThere are also some other odd codes that came but went away on their own. P1635-68 Tire/Axle out of acceptable range algo based failure

Its a mess really, trying my luck at this place that was recommended to me recently.

Old 07-15-2023, 01:05 AM
Default I may have cracked the problem (fingers crossed)

Hi,
Our 2016 xc60 wouldn't start last week . This instrument cluster had every system playing up, this happened on cold mornings , Main message displayed was Brake system failure stop car asap .Did some digging online and no luck , Anyway it sounded like earth problems to me and after wriggling earth lead the car started and seemed ok at first, Drove for another day, then same problem. So I first inspected Main battery negative lead to body and Aux Battery to ground , Applied star washers to make sure it was grounding ,seemed to be fixed for a day or so . Next cold morning ,No start with the same message , I checked the voltage at the positive starter and system fuse and it was good , then I touched the negative battery terminal lighty where the small electrical shunt is bolted to the negative post of the battery , The car started at that point no error messages everything seemed normal drove well no issues . So I have now drilled a small hole through the terminal post clamp and through the copper shunt material approx 3mm on the battery side of the shunt and put a small bolt through with locktite and it now seems to have solved the issue, two cold mornings so far , started fine no issues. So I'm thinking it had a hairline crack between the two metals and was only achieving partial connection on attempting start up second Auxilary battery was compensating after the start up . I think the tail gate is a separate issue but an earth one also .

Old 07-15-2023, 08:03 PM
Default The problems have returned (Not it)

Originally Posted by gmcrs2000
Hi,
Our 2016 xc60 wouldn't start last week . This instrument cluster had every system playing up, this happened on cold mornings , Main message displayed was Brake system failure stop car asap .Did some digging online and no luck , Anyway it sounded like earth problems to me and after wriggling earth lead the car started and seemed ok at first, Drove for another day, then same problem. So I first inspected Main battery negative lead to body and Aux Battery to ground , Applied star washers to make sure it was grounding ,seemed to be fixed for a day or so . Next cold morning ,No start with the same message , I checked the voltage at the positive starter and system fuse and it was good , then I touched the negative battery terminal lighty where the small electrical shunt is bolted to the negative post of the battery , The car started at that point no error messages everything seemed normal drove well no issues . So I have now drilled a small hole through the terminal post clamp and through the copper shunt material approx 3mm on the battery side of the shunt and put a small bolt through with locktite and it now seems to have solved the issue, two cold mornings so far , started fine no issues. So I'm thinking it had a hairline crack between the two metals and was only achieving partial connection on attempting start up second Auxilary battery was compensating after the start up . I think the tail gate is a separate issue but an earth one also .
I still think it is earth related as it affects most of the systems at once and especially when its colder ie. sub 8 deg c, checked and cleaned earths under air filter box today etc I just haven't found the earth point that's causal ,I'm going to disengage and reengage all wiring plugs behind glove box and see if that fixes anything..

Old 07-18-2023, 02:30 AM

Righto, After disconnecting both batteries, I've pulled out and reconnected all plugs in the passenger foot well and applied (CRC 2.26) spray and Good results so far so good . I've also noticed the tail gate switch is working better, I also pulled apart the plug to the tailgate near the trailer fuse box LH side behind removable cover in the luggage area. This just precautionary. Nothing else looked out of place everything was dry and neat ,Car functioning as it is supposed to. Give it a try if you've had these problems. You just have to remove Glove box and console side trim ,then pull back carpet MY2016 Xc60 T5 AWD Lux with Drivers pack .RH Drive .

Quick Reply: 2015 XC60 Brake System Failure + errors + Liftgate malfunctioning