Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2015 XC60 T6 AWD Canada - no TPMS or Tire Monitor?

Old 07-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Canada - no TPMS or Tire Monitor?

Hi,

New user here, been scouring these forums over the past weeks as we researched and ultimately purchased a certified pre-owned 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (the 3.0L I-6 turbo version) from a Volvo dealership here in Vancouver Canada. This is our first Volvo and we are very happy with the vehicle so far.

I'm most of the way through reading the user manual and have come across something odd. I want to order winter tires now while I can get a deal on them but can't figure out if the car has TPMS or not. The manual states

"Volvo provides two different systems to monitor tire pressure: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) or Tire Monitor. To see which system is installed in your vehicle, press the MY CAR button on the center console. Go to Settings Car settings. • If your vehicle has a menu called Tire monitoring, see Tire Monitor - introduction (p. 309). • If your vehicle has a menu called Tire pressure, see Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) – general information (p. 305)."

When I navigate to MY CAR/Settings I do not see either of these as menu options. I can't find any indication that TPMS was an option for this model year and I would assume it is standard on the Platinum trim? Anyone know where to look?

Thank you

Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

easy way is to look at the valve stems. If they are metal, then the car has the TPMS with the in-wheel sensors. These tend to require maintenance over time (particularly in colder locales where salt can enter and corrode the stems) so many manufacturers went back to the ABS based system which compares wheel speed to detect when there are differences over a period of time due to low air pressure in one wheel. This system also has its drawbacks as 1) you don't know true tire pressure (its just a delta between wheels) and 2) driving in the snow can create false alarms when the wheels may slip or accumulate snow in the tread. I believe Volvo went from TPMS to the ABS based design in 2014 or 2015 so I'd expect you to have rubber valve stems.

Last edited by mt6127; 07-12-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
easy way is to look at the valve stems. If they are metal, then the car has the TPMS with the in-wheel sensors. These tend to require maintenance over time (particularly in colder locales where salt can enter and corrode the stems) so many manufacturers went back to the ABS based system which compares wheel speed to detect when there are differences over a period of time due to low air pressure in one wheel. This system also has its drawbacks as 1) you don't know true tire pressure (its just a delta between wheels) and 2) driving in the snow can create false alarms when the wheels may slip or accumulate snow in the tread. I believe Volvo went from TPMS to the ABS based design in 2014 or 2015 so I'd expect you to have rubber valve stems.
That is very helpful info about the change from TPMS to the ABS based system. I had a look and the valve stems are definitely black rubber (at least around the exterior). I had another look through the My Car menus and still cannot find any mention of tire pressure, Tire Monitor or TPMS, I wonder if it somehow doesn't have any system? I would think the T6 Platinum would have it and I don't see it as an option for that model year.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:34 PM

Just to close this up, I spoke with the Volvo dealership where I bought the XC60 and they confirmed it doesn't have TPMS or Tire Monitor. Apparently Canadian model 2015 T6 AWD did not come with tire monitoring from either system.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

tire pressure monitoring systems have been required for new cars in the US since Sept 2007 (ie 2008 model year) but don't require one solution vs the other. That's US so a manufacturer could have a Canadian model with different features (example is the AWD 850 never came to the US until the V70 model launch).