Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2017 T5 Fuel Starvation Problem!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 T5 Fuel Starvation Problem!?!

Greetings,
About a month ago my car died without any prior warning while driving on the freeway. No CEL or anything, the gas pedal just stopped working. It was as if it had just suddenly ran out of gas. Had it towed to my mechanic where they diagnosed a problem with the fuel pump. Had that replaced at great expense (wonderful design Volvo!), drove off thinking that was behind me. A week later, same thing happened again. Back to mechanic, where they initially diagnosed the fuel pressure sensor but after replacing that still could not get the car to start so dropped the fuel tank again and replaced the fuel pump again. The suspicion was that they had kinked the hose of the last fuel pump they installed. Car started right up after that. I drove it for another 300 miles and then it died yet again. This time I had the vehicle towed to the dealership. Their mechanic is saying it's both the fuel pump and the fuel tank sensors, specifically that the ejector side of the tank is not working correctly. I am now faced with another costly repair to replace the fuel pump a third time and also the fuel tank, along with the extensive necessary labor.

I've read a few posts on this forum going back a few years and it seems like others have experienced this, and that their problems did not end after replacing the fuel tank. This makes me super nervous! What I can't find is anyone who has posted about discovering the actual root cause. Does anyone have any idea what the actual problem here might be?

On another note, now I am faced with paying full price to have a new mechanic re-do all the work that I've already had done. Should the previous mechanic be held responsible for part of this? Their work is warranted but I'm not sure if I have the leverage to go back to them and expect them to redo the job at their expense (or at least the part they already tried twice and failed). The cost of this repair (replace fuel pump and fuel tank) is about 5k including the parts.