Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Dead 2022 XC60 recharge

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 11:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is an early 2022, but the event sounds the same.
I'm taking mine to the dealer tomorrow.
Had the problem a few months ago and the ghost has not returned.
I've been driving my Tesla lately .....

Old 06-23-2022, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tvengel
I don't get much usefull information from the garage.
They say it is because of the Google OTA software updates, which don't succesfully update everything needed.
At this moment my car was parked in the garage with the sunroof open (which I always do since the first time), so I easily unlock the car :-)
Other electronics keep working,like lights, opening the trunk.

When the issue is there, I'll also notice that the "SOS" icon turns red on the main display, which states that Volvo services cannot connect.
I purchased the car on 21/03/2022 and this is now the 3rd time the car has to go to the workshop.
Okay, the 2nd time the car needed to go back because something has been broken with the first intervention.

This time the car was not connected to charger (luckily)

With kind regards,
Tim
Picked up my car again after 2 days. They charged the main and backup battery of the "tail fin" and did a rollback of some software ?!?
They stated that there will be a software update in the beginnen of july which would solve the issue. Which I can hope.

When searching for more info, i noticed that 2.2 of the Android system will also be released soon.
Software updates | Volvo Support (volvocars.com). And with CarPlay.
But for now only in Thailand? Or would it be a mistake :-)

Regards,
Tim

Old 06-23-2022, 07:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by EVdriver
It seems all of the accessory system (e.g., remote open etc.) runs off the the 12 volt battery, and it goes dead if you just use the PURE mode, and never run the engine. Or if you leave the car unused a long time. Once that is dead, the FOB no longer works to open the car or start the car. Net: before unplugging the battery, try charging it. And if you use PURE mode most of the time, run it on HYBRID for a bit each day. What a pain.
The foreman of my Volvo dealership's service department (one of the largest in the US) says that the 12-volt battery is charged whenever the traction battery is charged -- so the 12-volt battery should not go dead if you drive for weeks/months in only all-electric (with the ICE off always) if you charge the traction battery regularly. I have a new XC60 T8 ER that I plan to use chiefly for all-electric driving locally (using the ICE for out-of-town trips once every month or two), so I'll be testing this concept to the max, while charging the traction battery most days/nights if not every day/night.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:00 AM

Don’t think you can charge your car without locking it ——-?

Old 06-24-2022, 12:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Me too

We got our 2022 XC60 Recharge Extended one month ago. Took it on a two week 1600 mile round trip a couple days after we bought it. Car performed flawlessly. Drove like a dream in all modes. I was reading the forums and seeing the problems and thought maybe we were lucky and got a “good” one. Also thought if I had read the forums first I might not have bought the car at all. Anyway…a week after our inaugural trip, we go into the garage and the electric plug will not detach. Call service manager (good guy) who says this is happening a lot and to just get into the car and hit the lock and unlock buttons a couple times and it should work. It did. BUT the car then doesn’t start on first try. In fact it takes 3-4 tries before it would start and even then a message comes up saying “key not detected” and “eCall SOS, call service”. We change the battery in our new key. Still not detected. We then realize that the car also won’t lock. The keys don’t do anything at all it seems. Call dealer again who suggests we reboot by holding down the front window defrost button for 30 seconds (some genius came up with that as the way to reboot???). Still didn’t work. Brought car in. Wouldn’t reboot or start on first, second or third try at dealer either. Told Volvo has a new “patch” or something to fix these problems, and also the antenna on the top of the car may be at fault. It wasn’t. A day later (yesterday) we got the car back. So far so good. But candidly, I don’t trust that the next “glitch” isn’t right around the corner. It will require some amount of time without any problems to instill my trust again and I just hope we’re not in the middle of nowhere on a trip if it happens. Not particularly happy with our new, very expensive purchase. If Volvo got a little ahead of themselves adding all this new technology, shame them for selling the cars before the bugs were ironed out. Was happy with the service we received at our dealer. Nice people.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by chg1951
We got our 2022 XC60 Recharge Extended one month ago. Took it on a two week 1600 mile round trip a couple days after we bought it. Car performed flawlessly. Drove like a dream in all modes. I was reading the forums and seeing the problems and thought maybe we were lucky and got a “good” one. Also thought if I had read the forums first I might not have bought the car at all. Anyway…a week after our inaugural trip, we go into the garage and the electric plug will not detach. Call service manager (good guy) who says this is happening a lot and to just get into the car and hit the lock and unlock buttons a couple times and it should work. It did. BUT the car then doesn’t start on first try. In fact it takes 3-4 tries before it would start and even then a message comes up saying “key not detected” and “eCall SOS, call service”. We change the battery in our new key. Still not detected. We then realize that the car also won’t lock. The keys don’t do anything at all it seems. Call dealer again who suggests we reboot by holding down the front window defrost button for 30 seconds (some genius came up with that as the way to reboot???). Still didn’t work. Brought car in. Wouldn’t reboot or start on first, second or third try at dealer either. Told Volvo has a new “patch” or something to fix these problems, and also the antenna on the top of the car may be at fault. It wasn’t. A day later (yesterday) we got the car back. So far so good. But candidly, I don’t trust that the next “glitch” isn’t right around the corner. It will require some amount of time without any problems to instill my trust again and I just hope we’re not in the middle of nowhere on a trip if it happens. Not particularly happy with our new, very expensive purchase. If Volvo got a little ahead of themselves adding all this new technology, shame them for selling the cars before the bugs were ironed out. Was happy with the service we received at our dealer. Nice people.
I also put my order in for my XC60 T8 ER in March, before I read all the forum discussions by 2022 Volvo owners (not just XC60 and not just T8) with 12-volt batteries dying due to bad design that causes it to drain when not in use. I had a fully refundable deposit, and by the time the car arrived two weeks ago, I was at about 10-90 in my mind (i.e., against) buying it, but thought I'd test-drive it first. The general manager let me take it home for two full days, and it really grew on me as a great car. I ended up buying it this past week, "eyes wide open", and am hoping to prevent the 12-volt battery from dying by not even downloading the phone app (which I don't need/want anyway), keeping the key fob far from the car at night (other side of the house), and turning off as many things as I can when the car is not in use (including onboard SIM card). I'm afraid to lock the car when parked in my garage because it's hard to get into the car if the 12-volt battery dies. Not sure about Homelink (I have it set up but am considering turning that off and just using my standard remote for the garage door). There obviously are way too many things going on in the car's computer system when the car is off, contributing to the battery drain -- just really bad design, and no excuse for it. I'll bet that most of the things going on when the car is not in use don't need to be "on" or functioning at all. I'll be pluggin in the traction battery every night or two (as our practice with our other two non-Volvo PHEVs), which is supposed to charge the 12-volt battery, as well. Never had a problem with our Porsche and Toyota PHEVs in terms of the 12-volt battery, even when left for weeks at a time undriven and uncharged -- always started up right away. Just bad Volvo design/engineering.

But I'm planning to drive for weeks without the ICE on in local driving, so we'll see how this works... My dealership knows my concerns in advance; we're all hoping no problems, but I am worried about 12-volt-battery problems when on long road trips -- far from Volvo dealerships (and often out of cellphone reception).

Last edited by cometguy; 06-24-2022 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:09 PM

Unbelievable to have to go though those gyrations. So all I can say is good luck to all of us. It really is a fabulous automobile IF IT WORKS!!

Old 06-25-2022, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Got my car back today. According to the advisor the TCAM (Telematics and Connectivity Antenna Module) was replaced and the software updated. The Invoice states “Removed and Charged TCAM Battery”. I asked them if it has anything to do with water damage that is widely reported on the internet caused by a leaking seal around the antenna fin. They say that no water was detected. Will wait and see if the car behaves!

Old 06-25-2022, 05:06 PM

I was also told my TCAM might be faulty as they were having issues with lots of them. When I picked the car up I was told it checked out fine so all I got was the software patch. The car’s worked for two days straight! I’m not betting on when the next glitch might occur.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:59 PM

Just had this same issue - parked the car at my house, put it in charging and locked it yesterday night. Today it was bricked. Keys and App wouldn't open it. I used the manual key shaft to open it but the car wouldn't start. I called volvo on-call and they sent someone to jump start it. That guy was unable to start the car, and said he'd seen this same problem with 4 other 2022 XC's in the last 2 days. Now they're towing the car away with the charging cable attached.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:44 PM

I found some earlier posts and links helpful (or at least commiserating), so joining the brick club here. Awaiting flatbed to pull me out of my garage (still - will be over 3 hours). 2022 XC60 T8 ER, ~3 months old. Unlocked w/keyless entry, unplugged charging cable from wall and vehicle. Turned starter, got "key not in vehicle" followed by every system failure message one could think of followed by blackness. Tried all the reset and emergency tricks (without touching a battery) listed in the forum discussions, with no luck. Volvo Roadside Assistance advice: 'I've seen a few of these with the XC 60 lately. You need a firmware updgrade that can only be pushed by the dealer. Will send flatbed.' I offered I had updated to v2.1 OTA a week or two ago. I was told this is only for the console and that the vehicle firmware is different and only done at the dealer. I asked about jump starting instead (small garage, awkward angle to driveway so trying to avoid tow). Was told this would allow vehicle to start but battery will just drain again. I suggested I would drive it directly to dealer but was advised strongly against the jump as it's a hybrid and the person that responds may not know the correct way to jump the vehicle (well, I read it in the manual!). I asked about having to disable the air suspension, put in neutral, etc prior to lifting onto flatbed - told not an issue as the sled/wheels will not allow the vehicle's wheels to turn. Pretty clear cut I had no choice (or the choice to avoid all that advice at my own peril, I guess). I asked what would happen if I were in the middle of nowhere and was advised the procedure would be the same and I need the firmware update at the dealer. I will keep you posted. Nice that a car's firmware can just stop working. Suspect there will be more to this story to come. Any further insights always appreciated!

Old 07-27-2022, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I found some earlier posts and links helpful (or at least commiserating), so joining the brick club here. Awaiting flatbed to pull me out of my garage (still - will be over 3 hours). 2022 XC60 T8 ER, ~3 months old. Unlocked w/keyless entry, unplugged charging cable from wall and vehicle. Turned starter, got "key not in vehicle" followed by every system failure message one could think of followed by blackness. Tried all the reset and emergency tricks (without touching a battery) listed in the forum discussions, with no luck. Volvo Roadside Assistance advice: 'I've seen a few of these with the XC 60 lately. You need a firmware updgrade that can only be pushed by the dealer. Will send flatbed.' I offered I had updated to v2.1 OTA a week or two ago. I was told this is only for the console and that the vehicle firmware is different and only done at the dealer. I asked about jump starting instead (small garage, awkward angle to driveway so trying to avoid tow). Was told this would allow vehicle to start but battery will just drain again. I suggested I would drive it directly to dealer but was advised strongly against the jump as it's a hybrid and the person that responds may not know the correct way to jump the vehicle (well, I read it in the manual!). I asked about having to disable the air suspension, put in neutral, etc prior to lifting onto flatbed - told not an issue as the sled/wheels will not allow the vehicle's wheels to turn. Pretty clear cut I had no choice (or the choice to avoid all that advice at my own peril, I guess). I asked what would happen if I were in the middle of nowhere and was advised the procedure would be the same and I need the firmware update at the dealer. I will keep you posted. Nice that a car's firmware can just stop working. Suspect there will be more to this story to come. Any further insights always appreciated!
Hope you keep us posted.
I had a similar event. My car was dead as a door nail. No indication of life till jumped. Did eventually get jumped and have not had a return of this “ghost”.
had my XC in for other maintenance ( driver dash map not steady) had that planned service, but they found no reason for the “dead” problem…

Old 08-05-2022, 10:10 AM

Due to position of car, extracting of car from garage proved problematic. Successfully jumped with starter (it took awhile - he almost gave up) and check engine/fault code remained on. Flatbed transport to dealer, who indicated 1) Volvo had to reprogram the recent OTA software update through dealer computer. I was advised to no longer accept OTA and to call and bring it to dealer for update there if/when there is another. They suspect carplay app may be culprit. Curiously both fobs were also well under charge they should have been so batteries replaced. Fingers crossed

Old 08-09-2022, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disappointing electrical engineering. We too have had a terrible experience with our 2022 Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge Extended Range. I'm writing this for the benefit of other owners, as it doesn't seem like Volvo really cares much according to lack of responses to the many complaints above and in other threads.

Great driving car. Very comfortable. Nicely trimmed and appointed. But... has completely vexing electrical engineering / computer software fails that can leave you stranded. Our family drove 2 hours to Charlotte Airport and flew out of town for 4 days. On arrival back to Charlotte our Volvo was completely dead as others have experienced. Had to remove the entry key from the fob to get in. Zero electrical power for anything. Had to open the rest of doors using the handles from the inside and the back gate would not open to place luggage inside.

We called Volvo knowing that the hybrid needed "special jump start". Told by Volvo that they did not recommend having anyone jumping off the car expect for one of their 3rd party trained providers. Airport car support truck stops by and we wave him on waiting for the 3rd party (JackRabbit tow service truck to show). Volvo contacts JackRabbit and we received a text from JackRabbit stating they would be there in 45 minutes (if only we were so lucky- they never showed). Contacted the dealership at closing time- receptionist states that all the technicians have left for the day and there is nobody there to help. I asked her to leave a message for the manager to call me first thing the next morning as we are stranded 2 hours from home. My wife looks for a rental car from the airport and there are none available. We both have to work the next day and our two teenage kids are not happy. I get an unexpected call from the Volvo manager at about 6:30. He states that the car can be jumped off and if it starts it will be drive-able but may not have all the typical electrical functions (radio, air conditioning, google maps, etc), but it could at least get us home. He then stated that if we got home, they may not be able to evaluate the car the next day due to the schedule.
After 2.5 hours of waiting for Volvo's third party partner, we call Airport security and asked for them to jump us off. After reading about the potential dangers of jumping off the car, I asked that the security vehicle turn his truck off. With both cars off we attached the jumper cables in the correct order, and I started the Volvo immediately without having to turn his truck engine on. Disconnected cables and drove home with a warning light stating the 12 volt battery needed service. Arrived home and plugged in the vehicle and charged the traction battery. Drove it for 2 days and all the service lights went off, and it is driving normally.

So if your car is dead, I would recommend jumping it with both cars off, and I think having a lithium battery starter pack in your car is a wise investment in case this happens somewhere without cell service or JackRabbit happens to be the local third party Volvo partner. You don't need access to battery in the rear- just the positive and negative studs under the front hood (the positive hub has the cover over it). If you aren't going to drive the car for 3-4 days, then you should be prepared that you might need to jump the battery when you get back.

Volvo is now in the shop today (3 days later) for the recommended battery reset and software updates after having a "dead battery". They are stating that the technician is concerned about what he is finding. He states that according to his data we have been sitting in the car with the ignition off but listening to the radio, using the air conditioner, and other electronics multiple times throughout the day and night. This is simply ludicrous. We work during the day and we park the car in our garage and plug it in every night. I suspect that the car's computer is turning itself off and on throughout the day. Maybe this is related to the key fob being too close, the Volvo phone app pinging the car, the numerous Volvo updates, or the car trying to cool itself with the fan system while the battery is charging. I really don't know, but Volvo should. Really this is unacceptable for a car that has had ongoing issues and is continuing to be sold. Volvo will be lucky if there isn't a class action lawsuit soon (I'll be happy to join if there is one). They are also stating that there may be a defective coolant heater on their testing. They are not sure if this is related or not, but they have ordered a new part that will arrive in another 2 days. Super disappointing for a car that we have had for just over 2 months.

The following users liked this post:
blairwsu (09-02-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. After a similar experience ( see above) I bought the "Noco Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp Lithium Starter Box" and carry it in the car wherever we go.

The following 3 users liked this post by Volvere22:
jenscottlove (08-12-2022), KtF3 (08-13-2022), rtwendel@me.com (08-12-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 11:52 AM

Hello,

I received the last update (2.2) on the 18th of August. The garage asked that they would perform the upgrade instead of OTA,
as that would be more stable. And guess what..... The car had the same issue for the third time...
21 March : Picked up the car
15 April : First time the care failed to unlock
18 June : Second time
18 August : Third time and last software update.
Plus, it looks weird that all dates with the issue are almost exactly 2 months.

Problem is now that I can't realy trust the car anymore. For a trip outside the country in July is had to rent a car.
I'm going a vacation the last two weeks of September. Coming back on Sunday the first of October, So i hope I can get
the car started on monday.

I've also noticed the 2.3 firmware, which mentions "Solution to an occasional issue when unlocking the car using a key fob.".
Would this be a solution?

Regards,
Tim

Old 09-05-2022, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by tvengel
I've also noticed the 2.3 firmware, which mentions "Solution to an occasional issue when unlocking the car using a key fob.".
Would this be a solution?
There's already a version 2.3 of the infotainment software?

Old 09-17-2022, 06:31 AM

I too have just come out to my 2022 XC60 T6 (which I've had for less than a week), to find it won't unlock using either of the key fobs.

Car was on charge overnight and I suspect it has attempted a software update as it was prompting a 1.5hr update the other day (which stated the car would need to be locked during update).

Currently awaiting a recovery, but I have a fixed charging cable so this will be fun if we can't detach it.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by DeadXC60
I too have just come out to my 2022 XC60 T6 (which I've had for less than a week), to find it won't unlock using either of the key fobs.

Car was on charge overnight and I suspect it has attempted a software update as it was prompting a 1.5hr update the other day (which stated the car would need to be locked during update).

Currently awaiting a recovery, but I have a fixed charging cable so this will be fun if we can't detach it.
so what happened?

Old 09-18-2022, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by cometguy
so what happened?
The guy arrived, asked me immediately "The charger isn't locked in place, is it?" (which was a yes) and then said he wasn't going to be able to do anything.
He said he'd had another one of these 2 weeks earlier where a software update had caused the same issue.
He then said a volvo tech would have to visit and that volvo assistance would be in touch.
I eventually got a call to tell me that unfortunately no one could come out until Monday. I asked the person on the phone whether this was a common issue and they said that it was unfortunately.
Pretty annoying as it was Volvo who sent this third party recovery, knowing full well it was this issue.
I'm not massively pleased and will now be wondering when the car will next decide to lock me out. Hopefully not before I'm due to fly anywhere or due to be somewhere urgently.

Last edited by DeadXC60; 09-18-2022 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Dead 2022 XC60 recharge