Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Dead 2022 XC60 recharge

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 08:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeadXC60
The guy arrived, asked me immediately "The charger isn't locked in place, is it?" (which was a yes) and then said he wasn't going to be able to do anything.
He said he'd had another one of these 2 weeks earlier where a software update had caused the same issue.
He then said a volvo tech would have to visit and that volvo assistance would be in touch.
I eventually got a call to tell me that unfortunately no one could come out until Monday. I asked the person on the phone whether this was a common issue and they said that it was unfortunately.
Pretty annoying as it was Volvo who sent this third party recovery, knowing full well it was this issue.
I'm not massively pleased and will now be wondering when the car will next decide to lock me out. Hopefully not before I'm due to fly anywhere or due to be somewhere urgently.
My 2022 T8 failed to respond to fobs after the recent 2.3 update. I got into the car with the physical key and attempted both home button reset and defroster button reset, but fobs were still not recognized. Then I tried logging out of my normal profile and then logging in to the seldom-used second profile that my wife uses. I then did the home button reset, and fobs were recognized! I don't know whether that specific action fixed it, or some other form of magic in the inscrutable Android Automotive mess. Anyway, that might be worth trying.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My T8 has not had a repeat "gremlin" problem.
One thing I have done is turned off automatic software download.
Not sure if this protects me, but concerned that my problem may have been related to the car updating while the charging cable plugged in.
Now I will manually check for software update and do the update with the car outside my garage in the driveway (accessible) and not plugged in to the charger.

The following users liked this post:
Gallego (11-29-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 05:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volvo tech has arrived. Struggled with alarm for a bit but eventually got it working off the fob.

I asked if it was a common issue and it is, software update is corrupted and then drains the 12v while trying to update.

I will be turning off automatic updates until I hear its fixed.

The following users liked this post:
Gallego (11-29-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 06:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Also Dead Dead ‘22 ZC-60 Earlty T8

We returned fr 5 week trip and Xc-60 was totally dead. Had to use physical key to open. Then had to open back door from inside to get to charging cable. Charger light on but not flashing. On Call app not communicating. Cannot lock back door. Cannot open rear lid.

Waiting for Roadside assistance now. After 8 hrs on hybrid charger, still nothing works.

Will try 12v battery disconnect now. This did not work either. Battery must be really dead.

Roadside assistant came to jump the car. He used a NOCO1500 and car immediately came alive, but engine did not start. He had me push accelerator all the way down and engine started. Kept it running for 1hr 15min. Only issues is SOS eCall Malfunction alert came on in driver display and Sirius XM would not connect.. Pushed SOS to request a test call, but got a recording someone will talk soon. I hung up after 5 min. Glad it was not a real SOS emergency. Car is charging now. Hybrid reported 9 mi range when first connected. Once car either felt 12v battery was sufficiently charged - only after about 5 min, the engine turned off. I quickly changed mode to “Power” so engine would stay running.

Making appt to make sure all is OK. ‘22 XC-60 T8 is only 1 yr old.

Last edited by joetallyho; 09-20-2022 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Updated status.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rtwendel@me.com
So I just tried to unlock my car in my garage. Neither KeyFobs worked. Seems dead. The car has been locked and charging for the last 4 days.
I took the key apart so I could unlock the door. Car completely dead.
Any thoughts??
Something very similar just happened to me. I have a 2023 XC60 recharge, 2,200 miles on the clock. I had the car charging in my garage, battery 3/4 way full. Remote didn't unlock the charger cable, I thought the remote battery was dead. Replaced battery, no luck. Tried other remote, no luck. Car didn't recognize either key fobs, would not start. Placed the keyfob on cupholder, car started but gave me a message saying 'eCall Service Required'. Car runs, but remote doesn't work. Called and scheduled service at the dealer on Monday, no loaner. Very frustrated, this will be the second time I take this (new) car to the dealer for dash error messages. Should not be happening!

Old 10-29-2022, 07:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update - Post Service Visit

Dealer updated s/w to 2.3. Dealer was aware of the dead battery issue as several new cars on their lot had the same issue. They also replaced the TCAM battery under warranty. No repeat yet. Bought a NOCO 750 jump starter on Amazon -just in case.

Now if they can only fix the “camera unavailable” issue. Only recurring problem….so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by joetallyho:
Gallego (11-29-2022), rtwendel@me.com (10-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 12:08 PM
Default Volvo XC60 PHEV T6 blocked - Fob Key not recognize

Hi. I have a new Volvo XC60 PHEV T6 bought 2.20 in Lisbon. After 8 months and 12.500 km while conected witha wallbox it did not recognize the FobKey. With de manual metal key I colud get inside and the message was "Key not reconize". The second key also did not solved the problem. It took volvo 3 days to disconect the car from the wallbox !. Volvo assistance is not answering my emails and pretend that this was only related with a Recall (for a problem the car never had). Placing the fob Key at the cup Holder did not solved the problem. I see in this Forum that this a common and prevous reported problems. Unbelivable in a new Volvo car

Old 11-28-2022, 12:12 PM

Hi. I have a new Volvo XC60 PHEV T6 bought 2.20 in Lisbon. After 8 months and 12.500 km while conected witha wallbox it did not recognize the FobKey. With de manual metal key I colud get inside and the message was "Key not reconize". The second key also did not solved the problem. It took volvo 3 days to disconect the car from the wallbox !. Volvo assistance is not answering my emails and pretend that this was only related with a Recall (for a problem the car never had). Placing the fob Key at the cup Holder did not solved the problem. I see in this Forum that this a common and prevous reported problems. Unbelivable in a new Volvo car

Old 11-29-2022, 08:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Volvo really needs to get the bottom of this issue and (1) push out a fix ASAP or (2) tell owners how to troubleshoot/resolve this issue themselves.
This problem left me stranded in a different part of the country during a holiday and now I'll have to arrange to fly back to get the car once it's fixed (the dealer hasn't even looked at it yet they are so backed up).

Old 12-15-2022, 09:00 AM

Just joined the club. Our 5 month old 2022 T8 ER died/bricked after attempting on overnight OTA software update (2.5). In morning, neither key would open the car and charger plug was locked in position. Called Volvo Roadside who took over an hour just to get the doors open through trail and error. They managed to get the charger plug unlocked and even get the car started (much to their own surprise). They then advised me to drive the car straight to the dealer, while the ignition was on, to have the keys re-paired.
Car was then in dealer for 2 days for diagnostics, where they re-installed software and rebooted TCAM. As soon as they did this, car came back to life with key working etc. Once handed back, I was unable to get CarPlay or bluetooth working but resolved this by deleting iPhone profile, logging out of Google Assistant and logging in again. System is now updated to v 2.5 and all working fine. Volvo confirmed that the update had killed the car and that future OTA updates can be completed by them if required.

Nice car but this is a serious issue they need to get on top of.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dead

Volvo should disable updates while vehicle plugged in. Sounds like u were plugged in when badness happened. Volvo’s instructions say don’t plug in when updating, but with auto updates it just happens…plugged in or not.
I’ve disabled auto updates…

Old 12-15-2022, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by rtwendel@me.com
Volvo should disable updates while vehicle plugged in. Sounds like u were plugged in when badness happened. Volvo’s instructions say don’t plug in when updating, but with auto updates it just happens…plugged in or not.
I’ve disabled auto updates…
Sorry should have been clear. You cannot update when plugged in. First attempt was aborted due to charger being in, and told so via the app. I removed the charger and re-started the update.

When car was dead in the morning, only life was from charger port, so I plugged in hoping this would resolve issue but all it did was lock the plug in place 😐 The 12v battery was not the problem in my case, somehow the system was corrupted by the update.

Volvo should suspend OTA updates until they get this resolve this fatal flaw.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default We must be one of the lucky ones…knock on wood

We have a 22xc60ER with 3800miles on it. picked up in June and drove 1100miles in Scandinavia for OSD. Other than about 80miles, all on petrol.
Received the vehicle end of August. We now have 3800 miles on it. I would say other than about 500-600miles driving here on 3 out of town trips, 2100 miles have been on pure electric all day, everyday.
Charge vehicle every day. Leave charger in all the time. We lock the vehicle when we charge even though in garage. That way it reminds us to unlock the car with fob to safely remove the charge head. Keys kept about 20ft from garage by front door.

Version 2.1 was on car in Scandinavia. Arrived with 2.2 in USA. had a few glitches off the bat like no sound from beepers or camera wouldn’t turn on or no audio from radio. Fix was holding down center screen button until it reset the software. Since then no repeat offenders. I wonder if the dealer is not doing this before delivery and is main cause of this problem?

Though auto updates were on, we never got 2.3 update. I received email from Volvo saying update available but vehicle System kept saying up to date with 2.2. Maybe that’s where we lucked out🤷‍♂️.
When 2.5 came out, it still said up to date with 2.2.

One day we left the charger off the car and next morning the car said 2.5 was available. We followed the prompts and updated the vehicle per Volvo instructions on website as we heard of these bricked issues. Update went perfect.

Aside from following Volvo basics of not having charger connected, I think only other variable in play is Wi-Fi. Key is to make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi signal to the vehicle. Maybe that’s what is happening to most; data is corrupting when the Wi-Fi signal goes in and out at the wrong time and data packets are lost?(speculating). If you find yourself in your garage or where you park your car and sit in your car. If it shows weak Wi-Fi signal, get a Wi-Fi extender or upgrade to the new Wi-Fi mesh systems and put a repeater or mesh block near the garage(best practice is to put it halfway to 2/3 way between main router and the place you want to get good Wi-Fi signal. Put it too far from router with lots of walls between the two units and your weak Wi-Fi signal to extender may help but doesn’t fix possible packet dropping. Play with the placement of these blocks)

Anyway, I feel bad for everyone having these problems with the dead battery issue or OTA bricking.
Just letting you know there is hope that the vehicle, with its ridiculously limited android functionality vs sensus we had in 2015.5 xc60, is still as wonderful as we had hoped which is strange for us.
If something could go wrong with a car, it usually happens to us and it’s always the obscure things like our honda pilot at 30k miles needing a new camshaft and at 60k a new head gasket or our honda odyssey telling us the side doors are about to open at highway speed or my Lexus 300 with 18k needing the suspension dropped and reattached every 500miles as it felt like I was driving a double decker bus around intersection turns.

Yea, maybe we have been “lucky” with a Wednesday build on this one 🤷‍♂️.
Stay strong and remember to breathe, we will get through this as painful as it may be. Everyone, Today, reset using the center screen button just to be safe. Then go in and double check all your settings.

Old 03-03-2023, 12:31 PM
Default 6-week-old vehicle did the same thing.

So no, Volvo has not fixed this issue for the 2023 model year. And now my dealer wants me to have it towed to them—over two hours away!!—so they can look at it. And they had the nerve to be jerks about it besides. Really rethinking my purchase.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie K
So no, Volvo has not fixed this issue for the 2023 model year. And now my dealer wants me to have it towed to them—over two hours away!!—so they can look at it. And they had the nerve to be jerks about it besides. Really rethinking my purchase.
Can you let us know what version of the software your ‘23 XC60 has installed?

My ‘22 has been OK running v2.5.2.. I’m trying not to let it sit for more than 4 days at a time. Also no long drives (200+ miles) recently either… that was another interesting aspect some folks have described.