Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Electrical dead, battery charged, can trigger alarm but not disable

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Electrical dead, battery charged, can trigger alarm but not disable

Hi thanks for reading! My 2011 XC60 appears to be completely without electricity. Keys have no effect. Can open with valet key. I think battery was low but is now fully charged. Disconnecting battery or pulling and reinserting the 40A fuse below the glove box (Fuse 1 Left - Circuit breaker – audio system, subwoofer) will trigger the alarm sound and small red light on upper dash. This is the only sign of life I can achieve.

Alarm runs 2 cycles over about 30 seconds and back to being a ghost. Cheers!

Old 02-14-2022, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

does the key fob now work to lock/unlock the doors? Thinking you may need to reset the immobilizer.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:30 PM

I have 2 key fobs and neither have any affect. No related electronics are on as far as I can tell.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

best to search online for a wiring diagram. You will probably need to check for fuses and relays including those in the CEM to see where you have 12V and where you don't. When you say the battery is fully charged, have you measured it with a volt meter or simply gave it a boost? Note a charged battery should measure 12.6V. Curious how you turn the alarm off - did you try locking/unlocking the drivers door with the door key? Does the car chime when you insert the key? Not sure what style of key is on a 2011 - ie do you insert a metal key or the whole fob? If its the whole fob, I'm wondering if the fob is no longer being recognized or if the fob has failed.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:43 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

How old is the OP's battery? And what is the testing method used?

Old 02-14-2022, 09:36 PM

Thanks again! I've checked many of the fuses. It looks like you need to remove a tray of fuses to get to the CEM fuse so I would need to disconnect the battery for that.

I don't know for sure that the battery is pushing 12.6V, its just that the charger was stating it was charged. A basic voltmeter should get delivered tonight.

The alarm goes off on its own after ringing for about 15 seconds, then stops, then does one more cycle of 15 seconds. Then its done. This might be normal behavior.

Turning the car door with the key might shut if off - I'll try that out. Using the valet key is the only way to lock/unlock the door. The fob is currently useless. There could be fob issues but there is no electricity apparent, eg no lights come on when you open the car door, no sounds. In this car you insert the fob and press a button to start. I have 2 fobs and neither work.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:38 PM

The battery is about 5 years old. I'll post the voltage once I get my hands on a volt meter. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2022, 09:47 PM

Also, before this battery, if it went dead I could get the electronics going and start the car with a booster battery. Currently the booster battery has no effect and all remains dead. Is that a symptom of something else than the battery?

Old 02-15-2022, 02:43 PM

Your booster battery can't start a car with a completely bad battery

Load test the battery (sounds like you are doing that by turning the key on!) If you don't have a load tester and really want to bother - take the battery down to the auto parts store and have them load test it. - then -

Replace the battery (with the correct size and style) - there's not going to be a massive failure in a fuse or cem or relay. There can easily be a massive failure with a 5 year old battery. Or a 1 year old battery.

I would recommend the size 92-T7 battery. Sold by interstate, or the die hard brand sold @ advance auto parts, and possibly many other auto parts store brand T7 batteries. Interstate and die hard (and maybe others) is the exact same battery that Volvo sells. 30772236 is the volvo part number - and it has a made in germany sticker on it from the three vendors listed. It's the same part exact part. My interstate route man would sell me batteries with the interstate sticker, and sell the same batteries to the Volvo dealer with Volvo stickers on them. If you use any other battery (like a size 48) and your car has a battery monitoring system - you will get the dreaded "low battery" message on the dash.

The alarm has a back up battery - that's why it still sounds.

Last edited by hoonk; 02-15-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:02 PM

Thanks so much for your advice! Ok I'll check out this path of a dead battery. It sure didn't last long. I have been getting the dreaded "low battery" warning almost always since I bought this car but never had it cause a failure of any sort with this latest battery. I wish the Volvo garage anticipated the "low battery" issue just like you predicted..

Old 02-15-2022, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by CPCanada
It sure didn't last long, I have been getting the dreaded "low battery" warning almost always since I bought this car
5 years on a battery in Canada? The first one lasted about 5 years did it not?

If you have a size 48 (h6? and cheaper) battery you will get the dreaded "low battery" message. Replace with a (made in germany) 92/T7 combined with a battery monitor reset - and that message won't come back (usually)

Last edited by hoonk; 02-15-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:48 PM

Yep its been about 5 years. I replaced it just after I got the car so I'm not sure how long the previous battery was in there.

Yes I know the dreaded "low battery" message and started getting it right after Volvo replaced the battery (and was getting it before). I hear its a common issue for 2011.

I bought a voltmeter but it reads nothing from the battery, battery charger (except when in jump mode), nor my portable lithium booster. So maybe I'm experiencing multiple points of failure here.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by CPCanada
I hear its a common issue for 2011.

I bought a voltmeter but it reads nothing from the battery, .
If you put a mande in germany 92-t7 and reset the battery monitoring system, the low battery message should stay gone.

Sounds like your voltmeter is bad - try a c, d, aa, or aaa battery. Does it measure those? If it has ac ac voltage scale, stick the leads in a socket and see if it indicates ~120volts ac. (Canada is 120volts ?)