Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

How is the massage by Nappa seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the massage by Nappa seats?

We are going to buy a 2019 xc60 T6 inscription.
I do not know if the $2200 extra for the Nappa seats with massage is worth it or not. I specifically want it for the massage option.
Please those of you who have these seats give your thoughts. How is the massage? Is it worth it?
Also, on another thread somebody was complaining that these seats are firm and less comfortable compared to regular seats, it is true? How is the level of comfort on these seats?
Thank you

Old 10-24-2018, 04:30 PM

I have the upgraded seats in a 2018 T6 Inscription. I am picky about any seat,or chair that I sit in for long periods, normally more comfortable in a straight backed chair that does not bend froward/curve at the shoulders. I have have 2 discs fused in my neck and have rods/screws and cage in one level of my lumbar along with a compression fracture on my spine that I have put off having fixed.

I really like the comfort of the seats and they do feel much softer and to me more comfortable than the normal seats. We had an XC90 with normal seats for about 3 weeks while the dealer located ours and got it in. In that vehicle we took a road trip with 6 people and my wife was the one stuck in the 3rd row. However, she said she thought the seat in the 3rd row was more comfortable than the hard/normal front seats. For the record she also likes the comfort of front seats of our XC60 and has commented on them. For me driving the standard seats were not bad but nothing like what we have in the XC60. I had not sit in upgraded seats prior delivery of ours. It was love at first sit for me, I did not realize how uncomfortable other seats were. The additional adjustments really help me get to comfortable position. An adjustable headrest might be a nice addition but I do not find that I miss it. I have seen some people post that the headrest is too far forward.

The massage- Again had not used it in one prior to delivery of our XC60. Not sure what I expected, I think more of a vibrating massage similar to the cushions you can buy from a 3rd party which did not excite me. However, the massage is more like the massage chairs at the mall. The big difference is that the massage in the XC60 is not very strong even though there is a high and normal intensity setting and they have as many settings. You can feel the plastic points moving but nothing to write home about. Normally,I wear a belt so not that great on the lumbar. Athletic shorts work much better. Also, if you try it while having the heated seats on, even at a lower setting, the massage is much more relaxing. The cycle seems to be about 20 minutes and will see a small notification on the top of the center display to reset and continue using.

For me, I ordered the upgraded seats so I could have the ventilated front seats. I am in Texas and in previous vehicles leave on the ventilated seats most of the year. Also for the additional adjustments and the promise that they were more comfortable. The massaging was a nice to have addition to the package. If I were buying just for the massage option, I think I would have been disappointed. Overall though, I am really glad we went for the upgrade. Knowing what I know now, I would do it again without 2nd thought.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by divarsefid
I do not know if the $2200 extra for the Nappa seats with massage is worth it or not. I specifically want it for the massage option.
Please those of you who have these seats give your thoughts. How is the massage? Is it worth it?
Also, on another thread somebody was complaining that these seats are firm and less comfortable compared to regular seats, it is true? How is the level of comfort on these seats?
Thank you
Test drove 1 today with it.....I didnt use it..but my wife did and she said it was nice. Goingback tomorrow to test drive a T6 (today was a T5) and will give it a try and report back

Old 11-03-2018, 02:39 PM

Test drove a XC60 T6 with the massaging seats.......very nice.....its not a gimmick, you can actually feel the massage...felt very nice and if we go with the Volvo....it will have that feature!!! 2 thumbs up...wife really liked it as well

Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 PM

Thank you.
I have already purchased an XC60 T6 with nappa seat, though the dealer has not shipped it yet, so I have not tested the seat, but hopefully it will be good, and this thread can be used for others as a reference.
Happy day!

Old 11-04-2018, 07:34 AM

Thank you.
I have already purchased an XC60 T6 with nappa seat, though the dealer has not shipped it yet, so I have not tested the seat, but hopefully it will be good, and this thread can be used for others as a reference.
Happy day!
Glad I could help..we are still in test driving car stage and may just stick with our 2016 Outback.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:44 PM

Thank you
I just bought a 2019 T6 Inscription with the Nappa leather seats 2 days ago. I didn't buy that option for the massage, I got it for the AC seats which are a godsend here in Florida.

The massage has several levels you can adjust and several patterns. You can also change speed and what part of your back you want massaged.
If you are expecting a masseuse replacement, this is not it. It's not a vibrating massage chair either.

Let me try and describe what it is
You know how the lumbar adjusts in most cars? It's a single "bar" or "ridge" that goes across the back of the seat and can be adjusted in and out (and on some cars up and down). Now imagine that split into two parts that make up that "bar". Now imagine about 8 of them arranged in 4 rows of 2 up the back of the seat. Those move in and out in varying depths and patterns. I did my first drive over 50 miles today and used it. It seems to turn off automatically after about 30min. It felt nice, made my back feel better with the heated seat on.

If you are expecting one of those fancy Japanese massage chairs, then you are going to be disappointed. If you are expecting something that moves your back and muscles a bit to keep blood flowing, and to take the monotony out of a boring drive them you will be pleased.

The AC seats work much better than my 2013 Genesis Rspec, and better than my 2015 5.0 Genesis ultimate, but not as strong as the 2019 Lexus ES350 ultra luxury. Had to turn the ac seat off after about 25 min of driving because it got too cold. Never did get cold enough to do that on the Genesis(es). The 2019 Lexus ES350 I have to shut them off after 10 min

The leather on the Nappa seating area is much more soft and supple than the non nappa seats. You can feel the difference in the Nappa vs non Nappa by rubbing the nappa seating area then rubbing the side of the seat. The regular leather seats are very nice, but the Nappa seats are REALLY NICE!

If you still have questions, I'll do what I can to help
John

Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM

Thank you for your info.
I already purchased the car with massage seat. I should say I agree with your assessment.
It is not a robust massage like real massage chairs, not at all, but it has some different settings and overall moves the back a little and as you well stated "keeps blood flowing". Overall it's not bad, but not as robust as one may expect, just moves your back a little!