Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Knocking felt and heard under driver's foot

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking felt and heard under driver's foot

I own a 2009 XC60 with 64,000 miles. Two months ago I could feel a slight thumping/knocking under my left foot when driving under 10 mph and/or turning. My husband could not detect the problem, our mechanic suggested new tires. We bought the new tires and the problem disappeared until three days ago. It began with a slight knocking under my foot which has increased each day, and can now be heard. My next step us to have the car evaluated by the Volvo dealer. Does anyone have any supporting information I can take with me?
Everyone seems to think I'm imagining the problem.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:02 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum Vernice

You might have a CV joint starting to go out.
The drive axles have a joint that usually will start to make a noise when turning and as they wear out will make the noise all the time. It can be a faint knocking or grinding hum. Usually starts when the rubber boot that protects it get ripped from old age or damage from something on the road and water and grit start to contaminate the grease.
Not the best video but you get the idea.

It's not the only thing under there that can cause a slight knocking but it's what comes to mind from your description.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Default Knocking Continued

At the Volvo dealership now. Of course there is no knocking today and dealer can't find anything wrong. Very frustrating. Will continue to monitor.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Default Knocking noise

Hello, I also had a knocking/clicking noise from the front of the car. It happened when making a slow speed right hand turn and covering the brake pedal with the lightest amount of pressure. I could also feel it when it happened. I took it to the local dealer who went as far as to swap axles and struts with a new as a test procedure. In the end they didn't find it. A long time friend is a master mechanic at an Audi dealership, and after a short drive with him and an inspection on the hoist we concluded that the cause was the brake calliper clips clicking as they shifted with the combination of the light brake pressure and flex of the rotor when turning. We serviced the brakes and applied some grease where the clip arms make contact with the carrier and the problem was corrected.

Hope this helps.

Will