Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Liftgate not working when doors are locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liftgate not working when doors are locked

Hey everyone,

I'm having some strange electrical issues happening to my 2010 XC60. For starters, when the car is running, and I press the open trunk button by the steering wheel, it opens fine. When I have the car off, and press the trunk button on my key fob and by the steering wheel, it opens. As soon as I lock the car and press the trunk button on the fob or by the steering wheel, the liftgate will not open. It pops, lifts a bit, then closes back down, like it can't quite power it up. The button on the back of the liftgate hasn't worked in a few years, and the volvo dealership said they couldn't diagnose the problem a couple years ago when I took it in (they didn't charge me for it, we just left it as "we couldn't figure it out.")

While driving the other day, my radio just turned off and turned back on. This hasn't happened a lot, it was just one more little gremlin thing I felt I should mention.

The car has also been starting a little sluggishly when I hit the ignition button, causing me to have to hold it down a bit to get it running. This isn't a huge deal either, just one more thing that all seems to be happening at once.

The other big note, the car had some flooding a few years back that caused the radio to not work at all. Insurance covered it and they took everything apart and got it all working again, but I didn't know if the flooding may have influenced the liftgate, or if anyone knows anything about it.

I was wondering, is it possible it's the battery? Maybe there's some power draw when the doors are locked that can't quite get the liftgate to open, but once it's on it can power it? I suppose it would be easy enough to take to an autozone to test the battery, but does anyone have any similar experiences with these things? Any suggestions to maybe try on my own?