Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

MY22- Infotainment Unknown

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY22- Infotainment Unknown

Hello, everyone

First time poster here. My wife and I are looking into buying our first Volvo- a 2022 XC60. While I am excited about the potential features Android Automotive could bring to the infotainment system (even as a loyal Apple customer), I am equally perplexed and discouraged by the unknowns at this point. Do we have any idea what the system will look like when it is fully functional? When will that be? Do we know for sure that all features will be downloadable onto the system as is (in other words, is there any way an early purchaser of a 2022 could get screwed over by buying one now and not having a fully functional system?)? What will Apple Carplay look like on here, and is there any potential Android could limit its function to create a market advantage?

So many questions, and so few answers! I love all aspects of the vehicle, but infotainment does mean a lot to me. I wait with bated breath to see what becomes of it.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:20 PM

I'm new here too but recently purchased a 2021 V60. I'm not sure what all you're asking and/or what all you want to know, but I would guess the infotainment will not be too different from 2021 to 2022 at the start. But as far as buying too early etc. it's my understanding they are able to push updates to the system any time you go in to the dealer for service. Since your first 3 visits in 3 yrs/30k miles should be comped, you should at least get updates up to that point.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by nerdic
I'm new here too but recently purchased a 2021 V60. I'm not sure what all you're asking and/or what all you want to know, but I would guess the infotainment will not be too different from 2021 to 2022 at the start. But as far as buying too early etc. it's my understanding they are able to push updates to the system any time you go in to the dealer for service. Since your first 3 visits in 3 yrs/30k miles should be comped, you should at least get updates up to that point.
Thank you for the response. The 2022 XC60 is using the new Android system first seen on the 2021 XC40 Recharge, which will eventually make its way to all Volvo models. It is different, but in many way the same, when compared to the 'old' system. This new system will be updated via Wi-Fi, which is great. However, as it stands, it seems most features are not ready for primetime and will come with future updates.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:47 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

All of the things that are promised as updates (Apple CarPlay support, SiriusXM, etc.) will come as system software updates over the air (OTA). Sometimes, OTA updates are a little behind, and the dealer can update it for you sooner.

ETA: The 2021 XC40 Recharge has essentially the same interface as the 2022 XC60, so if you want to see what it looks like, look at that one.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bamapookie
All of the things that are promised as updates (Apple CarPlay support, SiriusXM, etc.) will come as system software updates over the air (OTA). Sometimes, OTA updates are a little behind, and the dealer can update it for you sooner.

ETA: The 2021 XC40 Recharge has essentially the same interface as the 2022 XC60, so if you want to see what it looks like, look at that one.
Yes, I've seen a few videos of the XC40. Unfortunately, they still leave many unanswered questions based on the yet-to-be released functionality. I hope they also add more options to the gauge cluster. While the only current option (other than blank) with the maps looks great, more versatility would be welcome.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by gettinlm
Yes, I've seen a few videos of the XC40. Unfortunately, they still leave many unanswered questions based on the yet-to-be released functionality. I hope they also add more options to the gauge cluster. While the only current option (other than blank) with the maps looks great, more versatility would be welcome.
You probably won't see many more options for the instrument panel, because that is controlled by the critical OS. Android only provides the map data which is shown in the middle.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:55 AM

You probably won't see many more options for the instrument panel, because that is controlled by the critical OS. Android only provides the map data which is shown in the middle.
I thought the new OS was an Android Automotive system?

Old 08-31-2021, 12:01 PM

I thought the new OS was an Android Automotive system?
The infotainment system is Android Automotive OS. Critical car functions are run by a separate OS that does not rely on the Android system. Car sensors, engine, instrument panel, everything needed for the car to function are run by the critical OS. AC, media, maps, and all the things not necessary to run the car are handled by Android. There is a shared video buffer that Android uses to provide the map data to the instrument panel.

The following 3 users liked this post by bamapookie:
Cruiter (08-31-2021), gettinlm (08-31-2021), longhaul (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 12:31 PM

Here's an article on the Android Automotive OS in the Polestar. It explains how the critical functions are handled separately: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/03/...inment-review/

Old 08-31-2021, 02:19 PM

The infotainment system is Android Automotive OS. Critical car functions are run by a separate OS that does not rely on the Android system. Car sensors, engine, instrument panel, everything needed for the car to function are run by the critical OS. AC, media, maps, and all the things not necessary to run the car are handled by Android. There is a shared video buffer that Android uses to provide the map data to the instrument panel.
Wow- that's a huge blunder if they don't update that instrument panel. To allow just one customization (I'm not counting the blank one as an option at this point) is a huge miss. What were they thinking?

Old 08-31-2021, 03:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default vehicle sim data issue, tail sensor issue, android os issue

• Vehicle sim randomly disconnects with network
  • tail sensor to lift back door is not reliable at all
  • android os has some issues - bluetooth music player stays pause when u hit play button on your mobile .. to play u have to press play on car infotainment screen or cars physical play pause button (when u connect the phone)
  • google assistant can only do few things - ac control , text reply, etc .. it can’t change system settings or core engine

Old 09-01-2021, 10:16 AM

Wow- that's a huge blunder if they don't update that instrument panel. To allow just one customization (I'm not counting the blank one as an option at this point) is a huge miss. What were they thinking?
I didn't say they wouldn't update the critical OS, just that it was a different system. At a minimum, the dealer could install updates. It could receive OTA updates as well, but I don't know how likely that would be.

Anyway, if you are not getting the map data in the instrument panel, I would look into doing a factory reset on the AAOS. That fixed the instrument panel for me.