Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Sensus updates

Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Question Sensus updates

Hi everybody,
I am thinking of buying a XC60 and I see how many functions have been "delegated" to the infotainment system.
I am a bit worried that screen-based solution will get old (in terms of functions, user interface, design) much faster than the rest of the car. If you think about that, even a simple icon design or "gesture" of 5 years ago looks very outdated today, because those things evolve much faster than a well designed ****.
Anyway, given also that Volvo wants to move to a full android system next year, I would like to ask: is the Sensus system updated regularly? Will it be possible to download updates? Maybe even update to the new android system? I know it's hard to say, but what is the track record of volvo in terms of system updates?

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:47 AM

I have not noticed an update to Sensus since I've had my 2018 (over a year), they could be happening over the air (cellular) and I haven't noticed. I doubt that when they switch to Andriod updates will much more frequent, reliable automotive software is hard to do, it is not a core competency of most car manufacturers. Automotive software is no longer something that lives in the head unit of the entertainment system, or just internally in control systems, it is core system software that interfaces with all the cars user systems. There are probably realtime aspects to the software too that increase the level of difficulty of writing reliable software. They also tend to have to rely on hardware that can withstand a lot of heat, which is often specialized for the industry, so running Android on the same ARM processor as the current phone is probably not what is going to happen.

Probably the only car manufacturer right now that does have user/system software as a core competency is Tesla.