Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

Hi guys,
I've bought a used XC60 (2011) 2.0T
I bought it as soon as the warranty got over, so it came cheap.

Recently the A/C stopped working, so I took it to the dealer to check. Apparently the A/C evaporator was rusted!! Can that happen in just 3 years? I have a 99 Mitsubishi that has the original A/C.
Nevertheless, they estimated a rediculous amount to fix it, and a friend recomended a private garage, who had fixed up a 2013 Mercedes. He gave me an estimate of less than half from the dealer.
Trying to balance the professional work and cost, the cost factor had a heavier weight. So I went for the private garage.
Now I'm regretting it. I have a coolant leak, engine vibration and an annoying noice from the dashboard.

Can anyone recommend me a solution?
Should I go back to the guy who messed up the car, or should I go to the dealer and pay to fix it?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a tough one. Only you really know what kind of shop you went to. Is it a well established shop with generally a good reputation, or a real hole in the wall/fly by night place? If the former I am in favor of making a business stand behind their work. If the latter the suffer the consequences of a poor decision and take it elsewhere to get it fixed.

You don't identify your location, but if you are in the US there are many independent Volvo shops with pretty much one in every mid sized city and they tend to work only on Volvo's, but a shop that specializes in European cars is preferable to the dealer in most cases IMO.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, but I'm nowhere near the US. I'm in Bahrain.
The garage is not a very well established place. But it is a well reputed place by the locals. They are specialized in most European vehicles.
I called the guy back to come and fix it, but he claimed that he had nothing to do with the damage. But he is willing to fix it. Not for free though.
I've learnt my lesson now, I wont be giving it back to him, I will just take it to the dealer, even though it might put a big hole in my wallet.
I love my car, so I will not let it go to waste.

But my main concern is, can a 3 year old vehicle have rust issues?
I get it body washed twice a week, at least twice a month I get a steam wash for the engine bay and underneath. Regular service every 10k from the dealer.
Office parking is a multi-storey car park. (Covered)
Home parking is open but nowhere near the sea.

Last edited by Anushka Dimuth De Mel; 03-04-2014 at 02:08 AM.