Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

New Thread suggestion..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Thread suggestion..

Does anyone think it may be a good idea to have a new thread for the XC60 that relates directly to the latest SPA version... it seems like there are many messages that relate to this model that are "maybe" misinterpreted as being replies for the series... just my thoughts. This may also apply to the XC90 section but I'm not sure.

Cheers to all.. from "down under" - David

Old 12-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

generally speaking you are referring to 2016 and newer cars - most of which should still be under factory warranty and there is not really a large number of data points (outside of what the dealers report to the factory) for common issues. Its always a best practice for posters to note their model and year but I don't see a lot of trends for specific topics for the newer cars. Over time I could see adding new vehicle specific forums but right now I haven't seen enough to even suggest a sticky for a thread.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:11 PM

Hi mt6127
Yes I was referring to SPA models only, but more specifically the SPA XC60 that was introduced as a 2018 model. I'm not sure about the SPA XC90 maybe that was a 2016 (but I thought 2017). Anyway it wasn't about warranty issues it was about "general discussion" etc. I mentioned it was only a suggestion, as other Volvo forums have them listed as completely "new/separate" models within their discussion areas. Most of these other forums have a large number of discussion points (hundreds) for these newer SPA models as well.
Cheers David

Old 12-09-2019, 04:23 PM

Hi mt6127
Further to my original post about "a new thread" etc.

Have a look at the post entitled "USB Media Player Madness" and you will see what I was talking about.. the original post was about a SPA XC60 and the replies mine and another were based specifically for this vehicle series, however there is an additional post that relates specifically to the previous 2017 model by Wolfpb that really has NO relevance to the new Sensus system. My suggestion was directly related to this type of issue so that members could/should be able to see what is for their specific vehicle series. I'm sure Wolfpb could be helped by others if it was directed to the right vehicle series and not have him disappointed by mixed messages.

Cheers David

Old 12-09-2019, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The organization of the forums isn't ideal. They never differentiated between P2 and P3 or P1 and early S/V40, so I doubt they will add forums to differentiate between P3 XC60 and SPA or P2 XC90 and SPA.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Default Definitely not the best

I think it is a good idea. It could give you a better idea about actually owning a Volvo. Most of the posts on this site deal with mechanical problems. I have owned a 2018 XC60 T5 for about 9 months now. I am a former Mercedes owner. I find the $53,000 T5 a bit unrefined in the ergonomic/driver experience category. That is, the engineering is far behind its type/class competitors. As far as safety, most Volvos have significant issues with automatic wipers (they don't operate sufficiently at low speeds or they wipe dry windows for 10 minutes.) Your sun visors are woefully small and inadequate, a remote key fob will set you back $500; remote starting from your phone does not activate your climate system, so if you live in extreme heat or cold forget pre-cooling or heating your car. The climate system only becomes fully operational when you begin to drive. This means you cannot defrost your windows, your seats are cold and you have to drive with windows down to cool the car. The system works fine in 0-27 degree weather. Also the "auto" climate system is not automatic. You have to manually adjust the fan speed to heat or cool properly. These are things other manufacturers have mastered a decade ago and yet Volvo still does not care to get right. I also don't think Volvo owners complain about it much because they don't know any better.The fact that I cannot rely on the automatic wipers on a $50,000 car is frustrating. I will not buy another Volvo.
Volvo is not even in the top ten of safest vehicles. In 2019, most manufacturers meet or exceeds Volvo's safety marks.

Last edited by mecover; 12-10-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecover
I think it is a good idea. It could give you a better idea about actually owning a Volvo. Most of the posts on this site deal with mechanical problems. I have owned a 2018 XC60 T5 for about 9 months now. I am a former Mercedes owner. I find the $53,000 T5 a bit unrefined in the ergonomic/driver experience category. That is, the engineering is far behind its type/class competitors. As far as safety, most Volvos have significant issues with automatic wipers (they don't operate sufficiently at low speeds or they wipe dry windows for 10 minutes.) Your sun visors are woefully small and inadequate, a remote key fob will set you back $500; remote starting from your phone does not activate your climate system, so if you live in extreme heat or cold forget pre-cooling or heating your car. The climate system only becomes fully operational when you begin to drive. This means you cannot defrost your windows, your seats are cold and you have to drive with windows down to cool the care. The system works fine in 0-27 degree weather. Also the "auto" climate system is not automatic. You have to manually adjust the fan speed to heat or cool properly. These are things other manufacturers have mastered a decade ago and yet Volvo still does not care to get right. I also don't think Volvo owners complain about it much because they don't know any better.The fact that I cannot rely on the automatic wipers on a $50,000 car is frustrating. I will not buy another Volvo.
Volvo is not even in the top ten of safest vehicles. In 2019, most manufacturers meet or exceeds Volvo's safety marks.
Are you sure you know how to work your car?

Old 12-10-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Are you sure you know how to work your car?
Well, yes. It doesn't appear to me that you own a Volvo XC60. You would know what I am talking about.
The aforementioned systems are automatic functions which should require no "working" on the part of the driver.
I can break it down for you in detail if you like.
Automatic wipers are supposed to wipe when there's water on your windshield and if there's no water they should not wipe. An XC60 will wipe the windshield as soon as you start the car, if the automatic windshield wipers are on, whether there is water or not and sometimes, depending on the internal temperature of the car, it will keep wiping. It has to do with the infrared sensor that Volvo uses when the temperature differential on the interior of the car is substantially different than the exterior. This infrared sensor thinks that there's water on the windshield and will keep wiping until the temperature differential dissipates. It is an engineering problem. The speed sensor exacerbates the poor infrared sensor by slowing the wipers to a stop when you come to a stop sign,s your windshield gets covered in rain and you can't see anything until you step on the gas, which is not safe. Rookie design flaw that they refuse to fix. If you look in the Volvo blogs, you will find people complaining about this.
The other problems are purely a preference in engineering from Volvo.
Apparently Volvo seems to think that you are saving energy when your climate control system does not come on when you remote start the car.
If you leave your heat or air conditioning set at a higher or lower temperature when you shut the car off and remote start the car it will not come on at that temperature, it always comes on at the same default temperature, no matter what the interior temperature is. It will also not increase or lower the temperature based on the interior temperature of the car. It is set at a moderate level which does not allow for defrosting the windows or addressing extreme temperature conditions.
The automatic climate control needing adjustment from the driver is also dumb. The Volvo does not control the fan speed automatically on the climate system, that is done by the driver. Whereas other cars will increase or decrease the fan speed depending on the interior temperature, a Volvo will not, it will just put out the temperature of the air that you select but you always have to select the fan speed that is needed to bring the temperature to the level it is set at, rendering it useless as an automatic setting. The climate control is not fully automatic. Now you know how to work a Volvo.
The dealer has recognized the problem with my wipers but says that Volvo says that's just the way their wipers work.
Volvo fanboys don't know any better.

Last edited by mecover; 12-10-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Cool, so the answer to my question is "no".