Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

New Volvo owner - have some questiions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Volvo owner - have some questiions...

So, I've purchased my first Volvo.
2013 XC60 T6 AWD
34,000 miles

I purchased the "extended" warranty. 7 years 100,000 miles

They are now offering to sell me the every 10,000 mile Factory Scheduled Maintenance for about $2,800. Retail or pay as you go is $4,100

After looking at what they do on the scheduled maintenance list it seems like the vast majority of things are just being "checked" Other than an oil and filter change at each interval and spark plug replacement at the 60,000 mark, there isn't much going on other than things being checked.

Do I need to do these Scheduled Maintenance items to keep my warranty valid? Can I do them someplace else? (cheaper)

Suggestions as to whether to buy this or not?

And what exactly needs to be done to keep my "extra" warranty" valid.

Thanks for a new Volvo owner.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It does not effect the warranty unless a covered part is effected. For example, the brake fluid is flushed at 40k. I have seen an extended warranty company refuse coverage of a seized caliper because the owner did not have thw brake fluid flushed according to the maintenance schedule.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
It does not effect the warranty unless a covered part is effected. For example, the brake fluid is flushed at 40k. I have seen an extended warranty company refuse coverage of a seized caliper because the owner did not have thw brake fluid flushed according to the maintenance schedule.
I don't know if it matters but this is Volvo's warranty. Not a 3rd party one.

I'm just hesitant to spend that kind of money for them just checking things and topping off fluids.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

The CPO warranty would likely cover something like that case mentioned. But as long as you maintain it properly, you should have no problems.

I can't speak for all techs, but I check each car the same, whether its a major service or an oil change (unless its a customer who continually gets oil changes and buys nothing else, only to have the work done elsewhere)

Old 06-27-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
The CPO warranty would likely cover something like that case mentioned. But as long as you maintain it properly, you should have no problems.

I can't speak for all techs, but I check each car the same, whether its a major service or an oil change (unless its a customer who continually gets oil changes and buys nothing else, only to have the work done elsewhere)
Well here's my dilemma. When I look at the 60,000 mile service, it's $900 plus some tax to do what? Check fluids, change the oil and filter, change the plugs and cabin filter.
Number one, is that a fair price for the work or can it be done for considerably less elsewhere? And number two, if I do it elsewhere will the warranty still be valid?

And the other service intervals that are less expensive, things are only getting checked. (except for oil and filter)

To your statement above, "as long as you maintain it properly..." What constitutes "properly"? Jiffy Lube? Dobbs? Or your local mechanic?
This is a whole new world to me as far as "required" maintenance.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

That price sounds high. Honestly, you would probably be better off buying the items a la carte instead of the service. So at 40k, get an oil change, brake flush, pollen filter and air filter.

You can have it done elsewhere, just keep your receipts. It won't void the warranty unless the work causes a problem. But if you have another shop replace your pollen filter and then you have a shock start leaking, the two are clearly unrelated.