Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Sunroof not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof not working

2013 XC60

Wife noticed the drivers side footwell was very wet after a hard rain. After some Googling, main suspect is the sunroof drains. However, the sunroof will not open to clear them out.

Both the sunroof and shade won’t work, so I suspected the switch. Ordered a used one off eBay (actually the entire upper console thing), but no luck fixing the issue. I guess I could have received a second bad switch, but unlikely.

Tried manually opening the sunroof by using an Allen wrench on the motor, but it won’t budge. Removed the motor and verified it’s getting 12V constant, but probably not getting the signals from switch to open/close/vent. Still can’t manually turn the motor after removing it…is it supposed to spin easily?

I’ve seen a few threads about having to reset some electrical components after swapping the battery, so tried a couple of those tricks…setting off the alarm, unlocking/locking the doors with key 3 times, etc…no luck.

I’m leaning away from a bad motor, because I think the sun shade uses a different motor and that doesn’t work either. But maybe the signals go through the main motor first and aren’t getting through? Maybe it got fried from the water leaking inside the car? Motor looks clean, no signs of damage.

No clicking or buzzing noises when trying to operate the sunroof.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Last edited by SCEV; 07-01-2022 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Added vehicle year
Old 08-25-2022, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCEV
2013 XC60

Wife noticed the drivers side footwell was very wet after a hard rain. After some Googling, main suspect is the sunroof drains. However, the sunroof will not open to clear them out.

Both the sunroof and shade won’t work, so I suspected the switch. Ordered a used one off eBay (actually the entire upper console thing), but no luck fixing the issue. I guess I could have received a second bad switch, but unlikely.

Tried manually opening the sunroof by using an Allen wrench on the motor, but it won’t budge. Removed the motor and verified it’s getting 12V constant, but probably not getting the signals from switch to open/close/vent. Still can’t manually turn the motor after removing it…is it supposed to spin easily?

I’ve seen a few threads about having to reset some electrical components after swapping the battery, so tried a couple of those tricks…setting off the alarm, unlocking/locking the doors with key 3 times, etc…no luck.

I’m leaning away from a bad motor, because I think the sun shade uses a different motor and that doesn’t work either. But maybe the signals go through the main motor first and aren’t getting through? Maybe it got fried from the water leaking inside the car? Motor looks clean, no signs of damage.

No clicking or buzzing noises when trying to operate the sunroof.

Any suggestions on what else to try?
Have you figured out the issue? I'm having a nearly identical issue. Hard rain, standing water in the drivers side footwell, sunroof not working. There was even a few drops of water in the upper console lights. I was able to open the sunroof with a socket wrench, though it was pretty difficult. It would only open a little bit at a time and had to alternate between opening and closing in order to get the sunroof open enough to access the drains. I ended up using some very long pipe cleaners to clear the clogged drain tubes. I also took off the upper console and ran a fan for a day to dry out anything up there. Sunroof still didn't work after reconnecting everything. I did notice that the motor housing was unusually warm, almost hot. I also bought an upper console off ebay and that didn't fix the issue either. I checked the fuses for the sunroof in the 2 fuse boxes under the glove compartment and they aren't blown. I have yet to test the motor or any connections.

I have a bonus issue that my car now displays a warning message that my SRS airbag system needs servicing which is apparently due to the standing water in the footwell according to the user manual...

Old 08-26-2022, 05:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

Had similar experience with clogged sun roof drains. In my case it was even worse than yours - I found my sun roof fully open during the rain!!! Tried to close it on regular way, but it didn't work, so had to close it manually using Allen wrench - it was hard, but managed somehow. From the smell of the burned wire insulation it was obvious that motor is dead. I sourced used one, replaced it, did calibration and everything is working now.
What happened: due to clogged drain pipes, rain water overflowed to overhead console, entered into sunroof motor and switch, motor got activated somehow and open sunroof fully. At some moment, most probably, motor overheated and wire isolation melted, resulting in dead motor.
So, there is a chance that motor is packed. You may try to oil motor axle - maybe it's just rusted, but in my case that was not enough.
BR

Old 12-15-2022, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edixon
Have you figured out the issue? I'm having a nearly identical issue. Hard rain, standing water in the drivers side footwell, sunroof not working. There was even a few drops of water in the upper console lights. I was able to open the sunroof with a socket wrench, though it was pretty difficult. It would only open a little bit at a time and had to alternate between opening and closing in order to get the sunroof open enough to access the drains. I ended up using some very long pipe cleaners to clear the clogged drain tubes. I also took off the upper console and ran a fan for a day to dry out anything up there. Sunroof still didn't work after reconnecting everything. I did notice that the motor housing was unusually warm, almost hot. I also bought an upper console off ebay and that didn't fix the issue either. I checked the fuses for the sunroof in the 2 fuse boxes under the glove compartment and they aren't blown. I have yet to test the motor or any connections.

I have a bonus issue that my car now displays a warning message that my SRS airbag system needs servicing which is apparently due to the standing water in the footwell according to the user manual...

Hi, I am having basically the exact same issue. What type of pipe cleaners and how long were they? Or do you have a link you can post? Also, when you were able to open it with a socket wrench is it going to be the same way as closing it and you just went back and forth slowly until it just kept opening up slightly and that gave you enough room to clean out the drains? Thanks

Old 12-15-2022, 06:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rafiki
Hi,

Had similar experience with clogged sun roof drains. In my case it was even worse than yours - I found my sun roof fully open during the rain!!! Tried to close it on regular way, but it didn't work, so had to close it manually using Allen wrench - it was hard, but managed somehow. From the smell of the burned wire insulation it was obvious that motor is dead. I sourced used one, replaced it, did calibration and everything is working now.
What happened: due to clogged drain pipes, rain water overflowed to overhead console, entered into sunroof motor and switch, motor got activated somehow and open sunroof fully. At some moment, most probably, motor overheated and wire isolation melted, resulting in dead motor.
So, there is a chance that motor is packed. You may try to oil motor axle - maybe it's just rusted, but in my case that was not enough.
BR
Hi, I have a feeling that I may have to do the same. Volvo dealership says they cannot even open up my sunroof to clean my drains due to dead motors. After you did this, when you say calibration, did the dealership do it? Thanks.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

When I said "calibration" I was refering to the procedure also know as "reseting" sunroof. You can do it by your self:
1. Set ignition key to second position (long press to "Start engine" button without pressing brake pedal)
2. Fully close sunroof, including blind
3. Start the engine and keep it to 500-1000 RPM (so, just let it to idle)
4. Pull down sunroof opening button and hold it for at least 35 seconds (as when you want to close it from "Ventilation" position). Sometime around 30 seconds, sunroof should fully open and close by itself.
5. Release sunroof opening button

BR

The following users liked this post:
twistab4pudd (12-16-2022)